Need Twin Otter info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AWACoff

If anybody knows of any websites, readily available books, etc. that contain detailed info on the Twin Otter 100, 200, 300 series, please let me know. Also, general info would be appreciated (V speeds, etc.).
Thanks.

Send a PM to Twotter76, he's current in the aircraft.

I've got a flight safety systems book, but it's in Vegas and I'm in Barrow, AK.....

a couple things to remember, during take off and landing DO NOT TOUCH THE TILLER. You WILL go into the weeds. The tiller actuates to a pilot valve which inturn actuates another pilot valve and is VERY sensitive at anything over 5 kts.

There are a couple of systems that give problems, one is the Beta Backup system. The micro switches get out of alingment. Learn the fuel sysetm and how the collector cell works. If you are in a salty enviroment the guages and sending units will give you problems.

Its a pretty simple airplane, lots of fun to fly. I always looked at it as a 19 passenger, twin engine, turbine powered super cub. If you think of it that way and fly it that way. i.e. rudders! you will have all kinds of fun...

Great versatile airplane. One nasty tendency: the horizontal stab when loaded with a hefty load of ice will pitch the aircraft nose down, you've got to keep on top of that.

These are all very true comments. I presume that you are going to flying one for someone so they will likely provide you with all the systems info. The systems on the otter are fairly straightforward and dont take that long to learn. OtterFO is dead on about the tiller too. As for the nose the reason it will pitch nose down is because the tail can stall if you go beyond flaps 10 (inboard flaps go to 67.5°) with ice accumulation. Send me a PM with what you want to know and I will try and help you out.

Twotter76

Hey OtterFO what are you doing in Barrow?

Go-arounds from a full-flap approach are pretty wild too!! You can pretend you're a helicopter pilot. It's been years since I've flown one but it is a helluva fun airplane. Oh, DON'T touch the tiller!! (It'll give ya another wild ride):D :D

Latest resources

Back