Need to be talked into it now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PilotOnTheRise,

You seem very sincere, I also commend you on your ability to keep a positive attitude after some of the negative remarks you got in return for just simply asking a question. Given, some of the people probably did not like your rather passive attitude toward becoming a military pilot but it also did not warrant some of the hostility you got.

Semper Fi

See it through mil eyes

YODA,

What if I posted:

"Thanks to everyone who responded and answered my questions regarding civilian and airline flying. Now that I know that Southwest is an option to me, I need to be talked into it. What are some of the pros/cons of airline flying/life VS. military flying/life. I will be heading to civilian life, after mil separation, next year and thus need to make a decision pretty soon as whether to accept a Southwest job, etc. Anyone in this current boat or who has been through it ... advice!?"

"Actually, I somewhat do have a desire to fly for Southwest, but also I have a desire to stay in the military. That is the problem. Im half and half and need something to be said that will make me chose one over the other. If I were to go to Southwest, I would love it ... as far as getting to fly, it would not be something I would wash out of or get terminated for on probation. Its hard to explain the feeling I have ..."

If I posted this on the major interviews board, I would get blasted by current airline pilots. In addition, Southwest guys or gals would have my rearend. I'm sure I wouldn't be a popular guy in Dallas, especially after passing interviews. You would think I would have done my homework by then. It makes me wonder what PilotOnTheRise actually said during the mil interview. I can see it now, "Actually sir, I'm not fully committed towards the military and am still thinking of staying on the civ route." I guess I am naive to think that you should be honest during interviews and committed to work for someone as gracious as to give you an interview and take up their time.

Matbe I'm wrong,

Take care and fly safe,

Excellent post BeerNear! I was going to respond but whatever I would have written certainly would not have been as good as that.

AOCS

I don't think AOCS (Aviation Officer Candidate School) is around anymore, but AOCS helped you make up your mind about the military and if you did not have a burning desire to fly in the Navy, the USMC DI's would help you quickly make up your mind you wanted nothing to do with being in the military. I can not imagine trying to go through it with only a half hearted desire.

YODA-

I appreciate that. I guess some of the people in here didn't realize what I was asking. Maybe "need to be talked into it" wasn't the correct phrase. However, I think I realize that military flying isn't what I want to do.

BeerNeer

If you were/are a military pilot and were thinking of going civilian and wanted to know what the good and bad was at a certain airline, say SouthWest, because you thought that may be an airline you want to fly for and you asked some current pilots for that airline what they saw in it, what was good, what was bad, I highly doubt they would blast you ... that was all I was doing here. I guess I worded it wrong.
Anyways ... I meant no wrong doing here by my question and hope you and any others don't hold it against me!
:cool:

Pilotontherise,

Don't apologize for being honest and asking some serious questions about your future. I can guarantee you that everyone that joins the military does not do so without some reservations. I can also guarantee that not all pilots that leave the military go without reservation, even those offered jobs with Southwest.

There have been things I have pursued and later made an about face because it wasn't right for me. Still, when I joined the military I did not have reservations about serving but I knew many guys that did. Funny thing, my friends that were the most motivated and dedicated for military careers are all out now working in corporate America. Many of the one's that were clearly not 100% sold nor that motivated have changed course and are careerists. I do have my own thesis on why this happens so often but I'll spare you.

What I mean to explain is you really don't know until you try it out. So, without having that opportunity the next best thing is to ask others who have done it... keep asking the questions. With that said, motivation will definately help you achieve any objective... especially completion of military training.

Good luck,
Mike

:D :D

Pilotontherise,
Let me, too, commend you on your honesty. There's nothing wrong with asking people who've been there/done that.

I know some of the more derogatory posts didn't bother you for I, too, am a Saints fan and am used to dissapointment much worse than a few gruff words on a message board. If you can carry the weight of another dismal season you can certainly find your niche in the aviation world.

Just .02 from another soul in the Drinking City with a Football Problem!

Yeah...what Michael Knight says...

I'll ask....how come a bunch of laid back dudes like me who "tolerated" ROTC lasted so long in the AF, while so many of the fired up Nazis ended up washing out of UPT...or barely finishing...and so many ended up getting passed over (especially the non-pilots) or getting out in the mid 90s...? My observation as well...but I have no major theories....MK--what do you think?

I'm not sure how you were thinking of getting your commision if you decided to become a mil pilot, but it probably is better you don't fly in the military if your not in it 100%. There is so much BS to put up with and unless your in it 100% you'll illiminate yourself quickly. Don't get me wrong, mil flying is by far the greatest flying you'll ever do. The places you'll go, the things you'll do, it will amaze you... Yeah, there is a lot of boring flying too, but overall I'm glad I chose this path. If you decide you want to REALLY do this, by all means go for it, but you have to put 100% into it to make it through training. It's alot of team work, studying, and well, letting loose a little too on the weekends. But, you know, when Sept 11th happened, it suddenly made apparent what my position in the military was all about. And the chance to be a part of it will far surpase anything I do in the civilian world.

I appreciate all of the nice comments now coming from some of you guys! I think you understand what I am trying to ask. :D

Well, lets hope the Saints do good this year. They were fine 2 years ago and I don't know what happened to them last year. I think they will do fine however.

Latest resources

Back