Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VW Pilot

MMM...PIGEON CASSEROLE
Ok I'm currently due for my PPL check ride but here's the coolaid.....On 6/14/2007 I recieved all endorsments and with signoff from my instructor for my check ride....A week from the date posted above, I had the check ride scheduled in a Warrior. But I ran short on some finances and in addition to that, the warrior I schedueled the check ride with got it's death certificate....someone took it up and the engine made some ugly noises and they discovered shavings in the oil.....the school didn't want to fix the plane so they permenantly grounded that plane and is currently selling parts off if it......So I searched the bay area for another warrior and found one....(Not many here) Well before they let me rent the plane, I must be checked for proficiency...Normal..So They asked me what is my training status...I said All I have left is the check ride....They said well for insurance reasons I should just can't check you in the warrior....they want to give me a refresher before I rent it. All I want it for is to practice....I already have been signed off..They want to re-sign me off for the check-ride.....I feel I don't need to be re-signed.....what they were telling me doesn't make sense. So they want to refresh me on some things, milk me for 3hrs, then say on you csn use the plane to practice....So I said well it wouldn't hurt to go up to see if I need improvement. So I did 1.4hrs which included pwr on/off stalls, steep turns, hood work, unusual attidutes with instrument recoveries s-turns, circles around points and check list use....afterwards he told me what to improve on and..... These were the things that I wanted to practice. All I wanted was an aircraft check out to practice.....Now he wants to schedule a x-country to see how I would do...Basically he did everything an examiner might test me on and told me what to improve....extra knowledge wouldn't hurt or a refresher....this I knew but another resign????? I think I'm getting milked...tomorrow I might cancel the x-country and comeup with something else....so between these dates 6/14/2007-7/29/2007 the new instructor recommended another sign off...??????? Any input welcome..thanks.

Last edited:
Very difficult to give an informed opinion with limited information.

A 'new instructor", or a "new sign-off" from a new instructor requires that the signing instructor has found you competent and proficient in all areas of training, which would require a demonstration of x/c procedures. Not necessarily a more-than-50nm-x/c, but a check of planning and execution to the first couple of checkpoints, then a diversion, just as it would be on the checkride. This is what he is signing to, so please don't automatically accuse the instructor of 'milking'.

You are legal to apply for your PP checkride with your old sign-off, but maybe the 'school', doesn't want to send you up with that much time between sign-off and checkride. The 'school' has a reputation to protect also.

Even though a sign-off is legal for 60 days, that does not automatically mean you are proficient for that amount of time between the recommending instruction flights and the actual checkride. Most people cannot maintain proficiency that long without some ongoing practice.

Maybe you are, but most are not, which is probably the reason 'they' want you to fly more - but I could be wrong. You may be.

But most are not, and that is the reason for what a lot of people think they are being 'milked' for.

this is the downside of switching flight schools. To the letter of the law, they don't need to do any of this, but insurance and policy will regulate this and you'll be forced to deal with it.

My advice would be to just jump through the hoops that they want you to unless your instructor can see his/her way in to getting you situated in a 172 or whatever else they have in place of the broken warrior at your current flight school.

The cross country is a little questionable, though, I have to admit. If you can plan it and the guy can see that you know how to get around and maybe even use a VOR, then I can't say that it is really necessary.

The playing rules get made up as you go along when a situation like your's arises.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. If cash isn't a huge issue, just do the extra airwork with them and get your certificate. A few extra hours won't be the end of the world. You're getting some practice anyway.

Look at it this way, you're getting a mock checkide and flying with a different pilot. It'll make you feel more comfortable and relaxed when its the real thing.

You don't necessarily get 60 days from the date you were signed off. You need 3 hrs of flight training in preparation for the PPL practical test within 60 days preceding the test.

Example (assuming you flew only 3 times up to the checkride)
Flew 1hr on 5/1
Flew 1hr on 5/15
Flew 1hr on 5/16
Sign off on 5/16, this would be good for 60 days from 5/1 not 5/16 (because it is 3hrs within 60 days).

61.39 is good for 60 days straight up.

Just play their game, and get your license, ******************** happens, you're kind a screwed because of that other plane crapping out on you. More instruction will only make you a better pilot, and less chance of failing on your checkride.

Hmm I think it is for reputation purposes....Rascals
They didn't state their motives but this seems clear now....

Not even worrying about the sign-off for your check ride, three hours sounds about right before I would rent to a non-certified pilot. Where I used to instruct in GA a/c we required one hour for certified pilots.

Good luck and use the time to learn more and hone your skills so you can ace your ride. It never hurts to learn more. I know it hurts to pay more. Sorry.

Good luck.

Screw the warrior....I have been check out in a 172 so I'll just refresh in that for a few hrs and go for it...

Latest resources

Back