Need some career advise!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bugchaser

Hey guys, I have been out of the mainstream of aviation for a few years now and have made the decision to get back in. Before you say so, I know things are bad right now! I have been flying ag for the past 10 years and have built up lots of SEL time. My stats are as follows:Comm, Multi, CFI, MEI, 6000TT, 100+inst, 125 night, 100+ multi, 600+turbine. What would you suggest is the best way to proceed from here. Do I have any chance of getting a job with this kind of time. I am planning on flying my ag seat next summer but want to change gears after that. I do have access to an Aztec that I can use anytime to maintain proficiency, etc. Think I should be able to get hired with Caravan operator with my times, but should I try to got for a regional carrier and pick up more multi time. My goal is SouthWest. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.:eek:

Good luck with Southwest, I mean that :)

They say it's easier to get into Harvard that it is to get a job with Southwest :D

Spellcheck your resume.

Ali

network network network & network...... It is not as important as "what" you know BUT it is with regards to WHO you know in this crazed industry.. I would suggest attempting to build some more turbine PIC time since SWA requires 1000 hours of that "good stuff" last I heard. I am not a fan of SWA so I am not in the loop to "know" what it would take to secure a job with them but nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough.

You have quite abit of TT, alot of us would give anything to be able to post those times to a resume.:D :D - You will be fine, I envy you.:D

3 5 0

Bugchaser,

Perhaps you can elaborate on what it is that you wish to do with your flying career. More specific advice may be offered.

If you're looking to corporate aviation or the airlines, then you need to be aware that most operators take prior ag experience negatively. Even on this board I've caught a lot of flack for even discussing an ag background or other types of flying I've done. To this day, there is a "hick" perception about it, the old cowboy stereotype each of us is stuck with.

Part of breaking into other avenues is developing some experience outside the ag business. Despite having adequate total times, very often operators look at all single engine time the same. I've always felt that an hour doing row crop work is the experience equivilent of approximately 500 hours of point to point flying. Employers are not familiar with the intensity of the experience, and don't recognize this.

Your best bet is likely to keep your ag seat. Don't give it up. Take seasonal work under Part 135, doing anything you can get. Outside ag, there are few single engine jobs that pay enough to eat more than cornflakes. You ned to get some multi engine experience. Experience under a certificate holder (135, 121) is generally considered more useful, especially by certificate holders.

Despite your time, you may find that getting a seat with a single engine operator who will transfer y ou to a multi post is the way to go.

All that aside, have you considered EAST?

Night Caravan freight

You're a light on multi and a little light on turbine. You have a good idea to try for a Caravan operator. I have a friend who had really good total time, something like 8000, but relatively light multi time (maybe 500) and virtually no turbine. He got on with a Caravan operator in Central California, flew single-engine turbine freight for a year, building 800 hours of that, and got a job with EJA.

At the same time, see what you can do about building multi and/or 135 time. Also, get your ATP while you're at it.

Avbug might have a point about ag experience being viewed negatively, but I understand Southwest to be a company that likes to hire pilots with a variety of backgrounds. You might have similar positive luck with something like jetBlue. You may not do as well with some of the more conservative companies, such as most of the other majors.

I would just add that from what I understand about ag flying that you get a great deal of hazmat experience, which should be meaningful to someone.

Good luck with your plans.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. Avbug, you are right about the perception that most people have about "crop dusters". Most do not realize the sophistication of the equipment that we are flying today. The days of an open cockpit stearman putting out dust are long gone but the image of that lives on in the minds of the public.

As for my career ambitions, I really want to get to the big iron someday. My preference would be Southwest but may get other ideas as things progress. I love the ag flying and the money is good but I really want to try my hand at the airline thing. I am not going to give my ag job up yet. I have been flying quite a bit of multi in an Aztec lately and am doing some instruction during the winter. My plans are to fly the ag seat this summer and try to get on with Martinair, etc. this fall and do that for the fall-winter-spring. Then make a decision about next summer from there. This is a long term deal so I am willing to bide my time till things turn around with the airlines. I am lucky enough to be able to make a living while still flying during this downturn.

Also do you have any information on what it takes to get carded in SEATs. Have some friends that have been doing that some at the end of the ag season. Always have been interested but don't know much about that part of the industry.:cool:

Latest resources

Back