Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need some aircraft buying suggestions...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
groundpointsix said:
Careful about heading taking the MoGas route. While it is cheaper, many (if not all; I'm not sure) of the STCs do not allow for the use of MoGas with ethanol. If you're in an area that has switched to ethonal over other additives or will in the future, you will be out of luck.

We just found out that the gas stations near us have ethanol and some other garbage added to the fuel. So we stoped. About a month ago we took the engine apart and rebuilt it. Needless to say there were some interesting deposits in our little C-65. The junk in mogas eats plastic/rubber needle valves tips and seats and who knows what else...

groundpointsix said:
Careful about heading taking the MoGas route. While it is cheaper, many (if not all; I'm not sure) of the STCs do not allow for the use of MoGas with ethanol. If you're in an area that has switched to ethonal over other additives or will in the future, you will be out of luck.
Crap, I didn't think of that. Good catch .6

At least with the MoGas conversion, you can still use 100LL

There's always the CRI-CRI (and turbine Cri-Cri)

http://www.cricri.co.uk/
http://flight.cz/cricri/english/

Personally, I'd go for the jet version. Multi-engine turbine PIC....
ohhhhh yeah!!!

CE

P.S.
http://www.amtjets.com/gallery_real_plain.html

Last edited:
Be prepared for big bills you do not expect. I.e. a 0-320 crankshaft inspection AD, $1,500, or a bad cylinder $1,000. I own a C-172 that is paid for and I spend around $4,000/yr for inspections, parts, insurance, and hangar rent. That is before I spend my first nickel for gas. How many hours could you rent for $4,000 at $80/hr? I instruct in my airplane, which helps off set the cost. Plus I run it through a subpart S corporation, which allows me to write off a lot of airplane expenses.

There's a guy near me selling a 1/4 share of an '83 172 for $8750. The engine has around 1100 hours on it, but the aircraft itself has 18k. Not knowing anything else about the aircraft, should I even be considering this? It was used as a trainer, but has full logs and has never been in an accident. How long can a 172 fly without developing stress fractures?

Murdoughnut said:
There's a guy near me selling a 1/4 share of an '83 172 for $8750. The engine has around 1100 hours on it, but the aircraft itself has 18k. Not knowing anything else about the aircraft, should I even be considering this? It was used as a trainer, but has full logs and has never been in an accident. How long can a 172 fly without developing stress fractures?

Good question. I'm sure the major flight schools have some really high time aircraft. I know the landing gear box on a 172 is a real bear to get to, other than that I believe everything else on a skyhawk is repairable/replacable. I flew an 18,000 hour aztec for a year and a half without so much as a working rivet but I woudn't buy the plane unless I got a reeeealllllyyy good deal on it. You never know where the feds will go with their "aging aircraft" and "fatigue" studies. After all they're looking out for the general public.

What are your opinions on buying experimental aircraft. I have seen a lot about the CH 601 online and it seems like a great plane. I take everything I hear online with a grain of salt because I realize 99% of the information on the internet is put there by someone with an agenda. There are a few other types of experimentals that look like neat, inexpensive to operate, and safe aircraft. If I ever bought a used experimental, I'd treat it the same way I would a Cessna or Piper. By that I mean I'd have an A&P check it out as thoroughly as possible and spend whatever money was necessary to have it in safe working order. Do you think I'm still taking unnecessary risk by buying an experimental like a CH 601 despite the precautionary steps I take?

-Taft

If you could learn to like a high wing the PA-12 is a sweet flying aircraft. It would be good for a guy your size and a good investment too. Find someone who has one and go for a ride - you may get hooked.

HEADWIND

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back