Need Part121 Operational Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

I am a military single-seat fighter type and need some info on how things are done on a typical 121 flight deck. Specifically, if you are faced with a situation or emergency, what are the assigned duties of the captain and co-pilot? Who normally remains at the controls and who does the radios/talkinig, etc. What does dispatch do(I never heard of dispatch in the military) and what are they able to provide.
Here is a scenario I am interested in how those of you with 121 experience would handle as far as crew coordination and decision making;

You are at cruise altitude over the gulf of Mexico enroute from New Orleans to Tampa when ATC advises that there is WX between you and Tampa. You are at the limit for off-shore flight due to no liferafts onboard and there is a restricted area to your north that you cant get permission to enter. What do you do? Please list all the detail you can. I am trying to get away from the single-seat mentality and get some pointers for good crew coordination using co-pilot, ATC, dispatch, etc

What sort of weather? ATC's view of weather isn't the most accurate. You should be able to navigate through with your radar. If the weather is that severe and widespread, the flight would probably either have been delayed or filed north around the restricted area.

Sounds like Southwest interview scenario prep...

How "severe" is the wx between you and TPA? One thing is for sure, you will be expected to use all resources available to you.

3 5 0

English said:
Sounds like Southwest interview scenario prep...
Thats kind of a bullshiat scenario...sounds like a lose-lose situation...either you bust a reg, go through the weather, or turn back and piss off the customers...is that what really goes on in an interview?

-mini

Ahhhh, the new LOI scenerio... Right on the money English - that IS a LUV question - or I should say situation.

CRM my friend, CRM.

Lori

SWA is one of the many airlines that incorporate these types of "situational" based questions during the interview process. The reasoning behind these sorts of questions is relatively simple, they want to know how "you" would react and handle the situation(s) with regards to the crm process while utilizing all available resources that are available to you. The majority of these questions come down to one thing, common sense and thinking before you answer. Not overly difficult but some seem to get caught up in more ways than one during this portion of the interview.

A pretty old salt who once sat on the interview board at a major once told me that "I know within the first five minutes of the process whether or not the applicant will be "teachable" and "hired". I think there is quite a bit of truth to that statement.

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back