Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

paflyer

Any opinions on giving up a jet for a prop

I need some input or perspective from those who have been there, done that!

Currently a FO in a CRJ... Been sitting reserve for almost a year. Upgrade opportunities are about 18-24 months away optomisticaly.

Have a opportunity to fly a Dash, little to no reserve and upgrade in about 6-8 months.

Pay is already sightly less, and I would have to relocate. I get a contract raise in a few weeks that will make the pay difference even greater

What would someone recommend?

I have heard not to give up the jet as going back to a prop does not look good. Will getting that PIC a year or more earlier REALLY going to make that much of an impact when very few are hiring?

thanks for the opinions!

Last edited:
That would be comparable to someone giving me a brand new Mercedes and I trade it for a used Cavalier and beg the car dealer to accept my other car as well........

I most definately would not go from the CRJ to a Dash, I would be patient and wait the 18-24 months due to the fact that no major airline is hiring right now and you really are not in a "rush" to get the 121 PIC time- it will come

C H E E R S

3 5 0

Should I stay or should I go?

Notwithstanding 350DRIVER's example, bear in mind the big "S" word.

Seniority is everything. Just remember how hard you worked to build time, get the interview, get past ground school, sim, and IOE. Now, you have seniority. You don't want to give that up. You don't want to start over. Starting over, in any job, is tough.

You also don't want to take a step back from jets to props. I realize that it, too, would be turbine time. It might be comparable, but not exactly. While turbine time of any kind doesn't grow on trees, jet time is rarer, still. You may be sitting reserve and not building jet time as quickly as you'd like, but you are still getting some trips and building some time.

Also, who likes to move?

Stay where you are and be patient.

Last edited:
Sounds like you might be a Mesa pilot. if that is the case, 6 to 8 months upgrade is very optimistic for the dash. i have been there almost 2 yars and have never gotten off reserve. If you want more info on the plane send me a note and i'll tell you what i know.

If you are not Mesa then the only thing i can tell you is that the dash is a great machine but you will work a lot harder than you will in the crj.

Both are fun, but i would just stay where you are and take the money and what ever aircraft seniority you may have.

Latest resources

Back