Need NWA info..or how to live in japan and fly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Da Vinci

hello. my wife is Japanese and we'd really like to raise our kids in japan. because of my very poor uncorrected vision, jal and ana are out of the question. my only plan now is to fly for CAL and bid guam, then commute to the main island or get on with Cathy and commute to japan from hong kong. recently someone suggested NWA. Does anyone know how NWA's NRT lines work? are they all bid for and filled with deadheads to toyko from the states? do any pilots actually live in japan and get nrt pairings guaranteed? are there any other options anyone here can think of? thank you kindly for any info.
i'm currently over 2000 total with 1000 in an E145 regional jet.

MSP/DTW 757 patterns have the NRT flying. Involves a DH both ways. I think most of them go fairly senior but not sure. There is good movement on most a/c now. Still would be a few years to get to the 757 F/O bid after hire to be able to hold them. Recent monthly awards had 1999 hires getting blocks. Should go more junior with the hires and retirements coming the next few years.

Even though NWA has a huge NRT presence, I don't think they have a NRT pilot base...am I correct?

I'd go with CAL, you can bid and hold Guam as a new hire. At NWA it will take several years to get to the 75 flying out of NRT and wide body FO, forget about it, its more senoir than dc-9 captain.

There are other operators in Japan not only ANA and JAL. I don't know how bad your eyes are but don't go by what you have heard and apply with the contract agencies PARC, HACS, IACglobal. Get information first hand from the agencies and see what their requirements are, three of the guys in my class wear glasses.

PS: Your times are a little low for the heavy Iron contracts but there are some Q-400 and CRJ contracts available

Good luck

Latest resources

Back