Need Military Airlift for Military Children

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

The M. Scott Kerr Foundation is organized for the express purpose of serving the children and families of those military members who have given their life in defense of our nation in Iraq & Afghanistan http://www.snowballexpress.org .

The Oakley Corporation, Disneyland, the Rotary Clubs of California, Marriott Hotels, Fairmont Hotels, Southwest Airlines, the Southwest Airlines Pilot Association and many other corporations and individuals are organizing for an event in December that will honor the children and families of these fallen heros (approximately 1400 children have lost a parent during the conflict).

Southwest Airline is donating 100 round trip tickets for families. I'm asking any persons associated with airlift units, guard, reserve or active that would be interested in providing airlift for families to Orange County Airport on 13 or 14 Dec with return flights on 17 Dec. I realize this is an unconventional way to go about asking for help but these childrens and families I believe deserve it. If you can help please send me a private message with name, phone number and unit you are attached with. I will be in touch.

Here are some questions and answers to help you understand the program. It is more than just the trip but the airlift to California for the families is a huge hurdle...we need your support. Also thanks for your service to our country.

What are the dates?

The dates for the Snowball Express have been changed to accommodate the hotels in the area. The new dates are December 14-17. Please mark your calendars.

How will the families be notified?

The Department of Devense/VA is rightly concerned about maintaining privacy for any families which do not want exposure. Our plan is to provide them with an information packet to be mailed by the DoD to each family. The packet will have the details of the trip, who to contact, etc. We will encourage them to contact their local Rotary Club if they need any assistance.

Where will the families stay?

We're currently working with Marriott, Fairmont, Hilton, Disney and other hotel chains to get hotel accommodations donated for the families.

Where will the parties be held?

Oakley is offering their entire facility in Foothill Ranch for a party. They can only handle about 800 people at a time, so the South Orange County Community College District has offered us the use of their 30,000 s.f. hanger at the old Tustin Air Station. We'll be having two parties simultaneously and shuttling the families between the two facilities. Dave and Buster's has volunteered to host a breakfast at their 28,000 sq.ft. restaurant at the Block of Orange.

What about gifts?

Oakley will be donating gifts for the children. Quiksilver will be providing each child with a backpack filled with items like wallets, magazines, posters, towels, etc. More and more companies are asking whether they can help.

How much will it cost the families?

We don't expect a family to have to spend one cent on this trip. We're working on getting major corporate sponsors to underwrite all the expenses.

What about the future?

We are setting up college scholarship funds for the families. Donations are welcome.

How can a company help?

Major companies are already getting their employees involved. There are various plans, most of which center around employee contributions matched by the company. A dollar a month for the next 36 months is one program. Another way a company can help is through job-training and job placement for the surviving spouse, tech training for kids who would prefer to go to a tech school and short-term assistance for the families.

Mil airlift or otherwise? I would contact AFRC PA or have your PA contact AFRC - the RAS (Reserve Airlift Shuttle) is airborne weekly and AFRC might be able to assist...or ask other units to do so.
AFRC PA 478-327-1753
DSN 497-1753

Latest resources

Back