Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need Information QUICKLY about FAT (Fresno, CA)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dangerkitty

Have a trip coming up to FAT where we are going to be staying awhile. After flying to FAT for the airlines I was really not all that impressed. So, we are looking to driving an hour or so out of town to find a better place.

Yosemite National Park is booked solid. How about going to someplace like Modesto? Would that be a decent place to spend a few days? Or maybe somewhere within a few miles of Yosemite?

How about Merced or any of the other small cities in Northern CA?

I am clueless about this area so any info would be greatly appreciated.

You might be longer than a one hour drive, but a cruise up Highway 49 and California's "Gold Country" could be an enjoyable jaunt. South of Yosemite there are other nice places to stay in the Sierra foothills. South on 99, I always thought Visalia was nicer than Fresno. They used the main drag there in the movie "American Graffiti." Small town America.

Last edited:
CorpLearDriver said:
You might be longer than a one hour drive, but a cruise up Highway 49 and California's "Gold Country" could be an enjoyable jaunt. South of Yosemite there are other nice places to stay in the Sierra foothills. South on 99, I always thought Visalia was nicer than Fresno. They used the main drag there in the movie "American Graffiti." Small town America.

OK, now I am getting word that if we go anywhere we need to stay North of Fresno. What about Merced or even some of the places to stay in Yosemite?

Dangerkitty said:
OK, now I am getting word that if we go anywhere we need to stay North of Fresno. What about Merced or even some of the places to stay in Yosemite?

I don't know that much about Merced. The old Castle AFB is near there and they use to have a really neat aviation museum. One of the few places that had a B-36 on display. But I don't know much more. Sorry.

CorpLearDriver said:
I don't know that much about Merced. The old Castle AFB is near there and they use to have a really neat aviation museum. One of the few places that had a B-36 on display. But I don't know much more. Sorry.

No sweat. Actually I just found a really nice place in Yosemite National Park that I just booked.

Thanks for the info.

Dangerkitty said:
No sweat. Actually I just found a really nice place in Yosemite National Park that I just booked.

Thanks for the info.

Thats cool. At least with kids in school and the weather beginning to cool off, the place won't be quite as much of a zoo. The best time to visit the park is in the winter on snowshoes. Enjoy.

CorpLearDriver said:
Thats cool. At least with kids in school and the weather beginning to cool off, the place won't be quite as much of a zoo. The best time to visit the park is in the winter on snowshoes. Enjoy.

What do you recommend doing at Yosemite? Anything special we should look into doing that I dont wanna miss?

Its about 30 min from Visalia to the edge of Yosemite, and then from there, about 45 min or so up to the visitor center, and the sequoias.

The C-54 I flew is sitting at Sequoia field in Visalia, hope it gets a chance to fly again. Preferably with me in it.

Dangerkitty said:
What do you recommend doing at Yosemite? Anything special we should look into doing that I dont wanna miss?

It has been a very long time since I was there. I believe they no longer let you drive into the park. You have to take one of the trams or buses. If you like to hike, there are trails everywhere. Have lunch at the Yosemite lodge if it is still open for the season. The bears may still be around but I think with the recent snows, they will be heading into hybernation or already have. Just enjoy the views all around the valley and ask at the visitors center.

There was an old steam-engine train just outside Mariposa that was called the Sugar Pine Railroad and it was an enjoyable side trip away from the park. I don't know if they are still in operation though. Like I said, it has been quite some time.

Check out the Awahanie (sp) Lodge on the floor of the valley. Beautiful old lodge with lots of history. Lunch and dinner for sure, although I believe you need a coat and tie for dinner at least. Very prim and proper but worth seeing.

Latest resources

Back