Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyintin

Hello all,

Need help with information on writing a paper pertaining to the aerodynamics of the Beechcraft 1900. I will interview a line mechanic and also a tech rep from Raytheon to collect data for the paper. I was hoping that you folks could shed light on the topic.

Here we go:-

Winglets== Advantages, etc
Strakes == Why?
Tailets == Helps in??
Vortex Generators, fuselage based on KingAir 200 and more...

Anything that comes to your mind, internet sources will be nice. Personal experience will be great.

Thanks in advance for educating me.

i am a pilot on the be1900D, here are some of my thoughts.

. The winglets were used to increase the "effective span" which helps offset the higher gross weight (now 17,120) and keep the wing loading low. This helps keep the performance at higher altitudes. Note the 1900 has a service ceiling of 25,000 which is lower than every other kingair out there. Perhaps someone else out there can tell me why, my best guess is the (low) 5.25 PSID differential, which yields a 10,000' cabin at FL250.

The strakes were used to minimize the yawing or "fish tail" effect of the aircraft at high angles of atttack and low speeds, like takeoff and landing. If youve ever flown a baron or bonanza you know what Im talking about.

The tailets increase the effective vertical fin area as the Kingair 200 tail is used.

the stabilons, (look like an extra horizontal stabilizer) were added on the "D" model to allow a much larger CG envelope, the stabilons provide lift and allow an aft CG of 40% aft of the Mean Aerodynamic chord.

There are two wing root VG's about 1 foot ahead of the leading edge on the fuselage, they are about 8" long and 3" tall. These help flow control at teh fuselage-wing root juncture. There are also VG's on the inboard flap and are exposed at the hinge gap when flaps are selected "35". These are so the inboard flap airflow remains attached.

All of these add ons result from Beechcraft's using an "off the shelf" king-air 200 tail. Instead of spending millions certifying a new tail , they just chose to use the -200 tail and add and modify it until it worked. I think this plane wins the "most appendeges" award. Figure in stabilons, tailets, winglets, strakes etc you have EIGHT extra peices hangin out in the wind. We all know this contributes to drag, so the stick a pair of 1,279SHP (1329ESHP) engines on it to do the job. My joke is that Beechcraft 1900C sales were slipping so the were like "hey, lets add some cool-looking stuff on it to help it sell"

At 285 kts it is on par with the rest of the turboprops out there, except the DHC-8-300-400 and EMB-120. The penalty is in the fuel-burn(!), about 1000 lbs. per hour. A SF-340 burns that and it has 34 seats. But they dont climb 3000' per minute up to 10,000. :D :D

Hope this helps, any more questions just ask??

:D :D

Latest resources

Back