Need Info on Wiggins Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crzypilot

I was wondering if they (Wiggins Airways) are actually hiring like the website says. Also what aircraft would one possibly expect? What would the chances of staying in the Northeast, like Maine or New Hampshire be? I'm just shy of the 2000 hours and have around 700 multi hours. I have done a search on Wiggins, but I was hoping to get more information. Also is the flying mostly at night or do they have some day runs. Also what would a typical week/day be like say if you were flying in Maine or NH? I appreciate everyones help. Thanks in advance.

I used to work for the Big W (not as a pilot) until about a year ago. Some of this info might be old, but I'll try to do what I can.

There aren't really any pilots based at MHT, aside from a floater that has worked there since the Wright Brothers. If you have a UPS run that brings you to MHT, you will stay in a house they rent, and be based where the plane spends the day and weekend. The bases in the NE, last I knew were:

PQI
BGR
PWM
MPV
BTV
RUT

They operate all as far away as PA and Deleware, though, so you won't be too far from New England.

Most of the flying is a trip in the evening to a hub, then back to your base in the early morning. There aren't really any day flights, but they did have a few overnight flights. No leg is longer than two hours.

If you have a choice, go with the FedEx side of the house. The QOL is much better on the Caravans, as in you don't have to load your cargo and the planes are in much better shape. The 99's are a little scary, but the two accidents we've had have been with Caravans, so go figure.

Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

EatSleepFly said:
Thanks!

Are they generally more or less desireable than flying a 'Van on the FedEx side?

It depends what you are looking for. The scheds are almost the same, so it really comes down to what you want to do. In the 99's, they are old and ratty and you have to load your own cargo, but it is multi turbine time. In the 'Vans, you get autopilot and all kinds of other neat doo-dads, and you don't have to touch the cargo, but its only got one engine. Also, the FedEx pays for the MX on the 'Vans, so they are in good shape, but the MX on the 99's comes right out of Wiggins' wallet, so it isn't as good.

Latest resources

Back