Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need help writing a letter of recommendation.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A Squared

Hi,

I'm in the precess of writing a letter of recommendation for a pilot friend. I'm looking for any hints of advice on producing a professional looking letter. Is there a particulat format which is customary for recomendation letters? Any links to letter of recomendation formats? other advice?

Thanks for any help.

advice? I don't mean to be mean, but spelling correctly would be a start :D hehe

Sorry - cheap shot - couldn't resist. Besides, MS word has a spellchecker - i know...... ;)

Try this ..

Not trying to be a wise @ss, but thats what I do when I need to write in formats I'm not used to .. although I got a great secretary now that does a good job of looking this stuff up for me, but she uses Google too :)

A Squared said:
Hi,

I'm in the precess of writing a letter of recommendation for a pilot friend. I'm looking for any hints of advice on producing a professional looking letter. Is there a particulat format which is customary for recomendation letters? Any links to letter of recomendation formats? other advice?

Thanks for any help.

Once you get the format you basically just want to say really good things about the person (obviously). Site specific examples.

Or you could just do what I do when someone asks for a letter of recommedation, and have them write it, then proof read it and sign it. Who knows more about someone than themselves?

Just a suggestion.

mattpilot said:
advice? I don't mean to be mean, but spelling correctly would be a start :D hehe

Sorry - cheap shot - couldn't resist. Besides, MS word has a spellchecker - i know...... ;)

Yeah, yeah,yeah....... I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that *someone* would offer this gem, Hell I even looked up recommend to make sure I had it spelled correctly, knowing that .... then my fingers betrayed me in the last two sentences. My story is that the other mistakes (that I see) are typos and not spelling errors. But you're right, spellcheck, proofread, have someone else proofread.

Here is one that was written a few years ago- I surely would not spend any money for someone to write one for you. Many formats can be used, the important part is you testifying to the person's skills, ability, and strengths. Good luck ace.

To XXXXXXX Pilot Recruitment:

XXXXXXXX is an exceptional pilot. During the many times that I have flown with him and worked a long side of him at XXXXXXX Airlines I recognized him as being one very dedicated, hard working, and sincere individual. I was quite impressed by his diligence and his desire to always succeed. I understand that he is applying for a pilot position with XXXXXX Airlines. I would like to take this time to recommend him for this position.

XXXXXXXX strong points include an ability to take on multiple tasks simultaneously and produce high quality results despite outside pressures.

If your organization is seeking intelligent candidates with strong achievement orientation and leadership, XXXXXXX is a good choice.

Finally, let me unequivocally state my strong recommendation for XXXX XXX. If you have any questions or need more information, I will be happy to talk to you. Please call me at the telephone number printed on this letter-head or email me at the address mentioned above.

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXXX

Captain – XXXXXXXX Jet

good luck,

3 5 0

heres another...

To Whom it May Concern

It is a pleasure to write a recommendation letter for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith joined our team in December of 1969. Throughout his tenure here he demonstrated entusiasim and a good strong work ethic. He acquired and clearly understands the unique aspects demanded of single-pilot 747 cargo operations as well as the systems and operation of any 747 he was assigned. He demonstrated this knowledge during a plethora of checkrides both with the FAA, and with company examiners. During his time as a line pilot, he earned the respect of any crew he was attached to thru his enthusiasm and CRM capabilities.

It was disappointing to hear that Mr. Smith would have to leave our team, but even with this difficult news he exhibited professionalism. I personally wish Mr. Smith the best in his future endeavors, and would welcome the chance to speak on his behalf at any time.

Sincerely

Mr. Jones
King of all that is aviation
1-800-867-5309

...bonus points to any of you youngin's that know that number :D

Hah! you know the guy that owned that phone number, but in the 212 area code sold it on Ebay for a lot of money? I think thats the area code it was supposed to be from and he had the number.

I can't remember how much but I remember thinking .. wow, thats a lot of money for a phone number.

Btw, you don't need to give bonus points. If someone doesn't know it, they're just living under a rock.

wingnutt said:

Mr. Jones
King of all that is aviation
1-800-867-5309

...bonus points to any of you youngin's that know that number :D

350DRIVER said:
Here is one that was written a few years ago- I surely would not spend any money for someone to write one for you. Many formats can be used, the important part is you testifying to the person's skills, ability, and strengths. Good luck ace.

To XXXXXXX Pilot Recruitment:

XXXXXXXX is an exceptional pilot. During the many times that I have flown with him and worked a long side of him at XXXXXXX Airlines I recognized him as being one very dedicated, hard working, and sincere individual. I was quite impressed by his diligence and his desire to always succeed. I understand that he is applying for a pilot position with XXXXXX Airlines. I would like to take this time to recommend him for this position.

XXXXXXXX strong points include an ability to take on multiple tasks simultaneously and produce high quality results despite outside pressures.

If your organization is seeking intelligent candidates with strong achievement orientation and leadership, XXXXXXX is a good choice.

Finally, let me unequivocally state my strong recommendation for XXXX XXX. If you have any questions or need more information, I will be happy to talk to you. Please call me at the telephone number printed on this letter-head or email me at the address mentioned above.

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXXX

Captain – XXXXXXXX Jet

good luck,

3 5 0

The letter head should have the name/address of the airline or the person writing the letter?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back