Need help with decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blue_side_up

I hate to bring one of these threads over to this forum but oh well. I am currently working at ExpressJet Airlines (Continental Express) as an FO. I just finished training about 2 months ago. I just received a phone call from FLOPS for an interview. I know I don't have the job yet, but I'm just wondering if its worth my time and theirs for me to even consider going to the interview. All the help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wellllllllll, Let me see. The two jobs are COMPLETELY different so take a long look before you make any changes.

Do you like being an airline pilot? Is that what you've been striving for? If so, DO NOT go to a fractional.
As an FO at a fractional, you will be doing a lot of things you will never do at an airline, ie,

Load Bags, load/arraigned catering, wipe the lav seat, clean tray tables and vacuum the floor, just to name a few.

You know how you swap legs at the airline? Well, forget that at some fractional's. You will fly the empty legs.

Now, some upsides of fractionals...

Different places most every day, nicer hotels(but you won't know how long you'll be there), Good crew food, better schedules and, most likely, no commuting on your own time.

Big decision man...I went to a fractional from a regional and wish I hadn't. Oh well, Waaaa for me. Just do what your doing now, ask alot of questions and think hard. Once you lose that seniority number, its tough to go back.

Hope that helped.

J-Dawg

Listen, I told you to stay put if you know what's good for ya.
You are young and it will be a lot better for your career at jet link, unless you want to fly coporate jets for your career. Otherwise suck it for a few low paying years and upgrade fairly quickly, enjoy the flight beny's and travel while your young. Save the frac's for when you retire at your 121 job and the wife makes you get another job! ;)

Fly safe
SD

A better decision to stay where you are you would make. Scooping turds from a lav, loading more bags than the airplane will fit, and vacuuming crushed goldfish crackers, does not the ideal pilots life make. Obtain the 121 experience, and a better ticket to prosperity will you be able to write. May the force be with you!

Yoda

Continental

Simple. Look ahead 15 years from now and where you will be if you switched. You would be an unemployed Learjet hack prostituting yourself out for crumbs to some air ambulance because at the fractional, a disgruntled captain furloughed from the majors writes you up because he hates the world.

Or, you are wearing the gold birdsh*t on your captain's hat strolling thru the terminal making over $150K per year, married to a trophy wife, enjoying those free jumpseats to Micronesia for a diving adventure and thinking to yourself, "God I am glad I didn't go FRAK myself."

Latest resources

Back