Need help to ID a homebuilt...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILLINI

A buddy of mine was telling me about a guy he knew that just bought a homebuilt airplane. He couldn't remember what it was called, but he said it was a four place, single engine, turbine powered aircraft. He said it was bought from a company in Texas somewhere that is going to help him build it (51/49%). Supposedly it had a very fast cruise speed, somewhere in the neighborhood of 300+kts and could climb at something like 2000 fpm at a speed of 200 kts.

It sounded like an awsome airplane by the way it was described to me! Does anyone have any idea what kind of plane my buddy was talking about? I'd like to see a few pictures or take a look at a website if there is one. I'd appreciate any insight you might have on this plane.

Thanks

The only thing I know of like that is the Lancair. They are based in Oregon, but I suppose someone in Texas could broker and semi-build it. Dunno.

Lancair webpage

Similar characteristics to a Lancair IV/IVP, but he said it was a turboprop not a recip.

That Lanceair IV sure is a sweet plane too though!

Since its a 51/49 shop I would think that its a Lacair with a turbine slapped on the front. Though I would hope that it is one small turbine because the Lancair is pretty close to those specs with the Recip up front.

I have heard of shops that do that, but I don't really see the point except at altitudes where the recip would just lose way too much power.

The Lancair is available in a turboprop as was the Glassair. Neither are located in Texas but both are 300 knot airplanes. AeroComp in Merritt Island, FL makes a turboprop utility plane similar to a small Caravan. Most use the czech Walter engines which are available for about 50k. The PT-6 is a lot more expensive but more reliable. I saw a turboprop pressurized Lancair at Sun-n-Fun a few years ago with full glass that cost over $1,000,000 to build.

The problem with these aircraft is that insurance is virtually unobtainable. High performance experimental airplanes with $1,000,000 hulls and 500 hr private pilot owners dont seem to make for a good insurance risk.

http://www.maverickjets.com/safety.php

They don't talk about how it is certified, yet on the safety page( link above) they mention its a "kit".

Twin engine though.....not sure if what you were talking about.

There was a Lancair at SunnFun with a PT6 on it.

But with the release of those Polish turbines(uncerified) you can get for cheap, everybody and there brother are installing them on anything.

Latest resources

Back