Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C601

Hi.

To start of with i'm looking for honest replys to this post, i have done a search regarding my question in this forum to bring myself up todate on who people feel about these flight schools (not a good one by the looks of it)

My question, i have looked into the likes of GSA, ATA, and that other school that uses Kingairs in Deland FL amd ATP. Are these schools just a waste of time for a person who wants to make a career of flying and find a Good Soild Flight training program so i can earn my rates up to CPL/IR ME and find bridge a program that can get me the Req'ed hrs to be aleast 200 to 300ME TT and 1000hrs TT.

As for what your probably thinking become a CFI etc and build your time there, i really feel that i would not make a good instructor, i have carefully thought about it over many months i simply do not make a good teacher. ( i wish i did )

I do not want to take out a $80,000 unsecured loan like ATA told me to do to finance there program.

All i want to do is find a respected flight school that can help me get enough time so i can get that first job. I do work in the Aviation industry and throught out the years i have made alot of contacts which i think will help me.

Any constructive and helpfull advice welcome....

I'm in the same boat...trying to find a good flight school to finish up the ratings. I am looking hard at AllATPs and Flight Safety. I have done a lot of investigation about a lot of different schools and those are the two that I am having to choose between. AllATPs is quick, reasonably priced and you get a lot of mutil-engine time along with 3 hours in a Citation for your high performance and high altitude endorsements. It's a lot like "drinking from a fire hose" though. I have not heard many negative comments about it at all. Flight Safety has an excellent reputation in the industry but I think it's more known for the "specialty training." I am referring to things like Gulfstream, type ratings and recurrent training as well as airline pilot type ratings for 737s, etc. I have met a couple of academy grads and they said that it was a great experience and the program is a good one. It is very expensive though.

There is a web site that is run by a Delta First Officer at JetCareers.com. From the home page select "Main" and then "Discussion Groups." There is a ton of info on a lot of schools.

Keep me posted on what you find out.

Ratings are ratings no matter where you train. Airlines like to see a structured training program such as Flightsafety or Embry Riddle.

All ATP is good for that the ATP where you know the material from previous trainingand all you need to do is to make yourself proficient to ATP standards. Doing a fast track like ATP is paying money just to get through a checkride and not learning much. Bottom line..If you are going to spend money for career training go to the best school possible and learn something while you are at it. You get what you pay for. Training just for a checkride will not make you a competent pilot..good training will.

Teaching is one of the responsibilites of an airline captain. When you fly with a brand new crewmember on the airplane you fly you will have to teach them. Having a teaching backround also can help if you want to be a checkairman for and airline. Its a better paycheck and has good quality of life.Teaching is good to learn about other people and gives you training in how to deal with different personalities.

Schools

I favor a formal school because the discipline of going to "school" is beneficial to training. Consider one of the recognized 141 schools that are known for structure, such as FlightSafety.

The schools that include turbine King Air in their programs aren't worth it for the money. Employers don't like to see that kind of time purchased. They like to see it built through legitimate employment. Moreover, they are very expensive. A place like FSI, while expensive, is about half the cost of a place like TAB Express.

I taught at FSI Academy in Vero ten years ago. FSI is as respected as they come. Yes, FSI is known for it speciality training, but "the Academy" produces tons of new pilots and has done contract training for ab initio foreign airline pilot trainees. The Commercial-Instrument-Multi program can be completed in six months. That may be enough of a firehose for most people.

Reconsider your viewpoint about flight instructing. The CFI credential is the easiest entry into pilot employment. So many people want to avoid instructing, but end up whistling a different tune after experiencing the difficulty and frustration of not finding jobs at 250 hours, no matter what connections they may have. Also, so many people want to be "flying" because of the fun of it. These same people say after being "forced" into instructing that it was they who learned about flying and their students were the best instructors they ever had.

Just something to ponder. Good luck with your school selection.

Last edited:
Formal schools have a lot of benefit's, they also have a few downfalls. Especially in the lower ratings. Specifically, they will teach you a tried and true formula, what they will not teach you is the experience you get by doing it on your own. Most of a 141 school is dual, you may end up with 190 or so hours but 85% of that is with a dude in the seat next to you. How much will you learn about yourself?

Now you mention a "bridge program", basically the quickest way from a 152 to a regional airline. With that you should have some time in a crew concept aircraft, a king air, citation or whatever someone will use is the best way to accomplish this goal.

As for the CFI concept... just like cpritchie5 said a Captain (regardless if airline or not) is basically a teacher, you will be teaching one way or the other. Teaching does yield tremendous advantages to knowing yourself, your abilities and learning from someone else. Just because you can learn it does not mean you understand it, but if you can teach it... It usually means you do understand it.

The only other comment I will make...
There will be many other 250TT w/maybe 25 ME and no CFI... They are all going after the few jobs there are, and most of the lower time jobs are seasonal. I would plan my training so that I would be available for the begining of the season.

If your goals are a regional then major airline... Take a really good look at the jobs that will be available to you to "bridge" that gap.

Latest resources

Back