Need help getting into corporate flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uncle Sparky said:
A follow-up letter with contact info (most chief pilots have a couple dead trees on their desks and lose track of stuff all the time), one week after the initial application is a good place to start. The natural urge for any ultra-competitive, industrious pilot is to say "..F*ck them!....they don't want to talk to me??....fine, I'll try someplace else!" On the contrary, as much as it may hurt the ol' pride muscle, you need to kill em' with kindness if you think that it is the job you really want.

The most extreme case that I know of is a guy that I used to fly with that wanted to fly at Options. He sent two résumé’s with no response other than the initial canned E-mail. For some strange reason, his life's passion was to fly for Flight Options, so he continued sending E-mails and even visited the main office several times. Finally, the chief pilot came out in person and told him "...hey, if I grant you a few minutes of my time, will you leave my secretary alone!" With his foot in the door, he was able to talk his way into the job.

As far as résumé assistance, there used to be a member here that went by "resume' writer"... (Should be a dead giveaway, I think). I can't speak from personal experience but I think Brett Hull has used her services and she used to provide a lot of free pointers on this site. I don't know if she is still around. I've been laying low for awhile (I've been busy job-hunting :D ) but if she isn't hanging around here anymore, I would just start a thread titled 'need help with résumé, or something to that affect.

I can use my own case as an example as well. I replied to a job posting on 350 with no response. A month later the job was posted again with a few slight changes. I replied to this one as well. I am a pilot/mechanic and the recruiter did contact me after my second response with "how would you feel about a chief mechanic's position with pilot's pay?" The paycheck was twice what I was making flying at my current job, so I agreed. I received a call from the chief pilot soon after, with the offer of pilot/mechanic (things were looking up). After the initial call, I wasn't contacted, by any means, for over a month. During that time I sent multiple E-mails of thanks and appreciation to both the recruiter and the chief pilot. Eventually, I was contacted by the recruiter and then the chief pilot and offered position as a Captain with the understanding that I might be needed to assist with maintenance "on occasion". So, not only did my persistence pay off in achieving the job, my demonstration of professionalism boosted my position as well.

So, I wouldn't necessarily send another résumé after a week but I would send a courtesy letter or two initially, followed by a second résumé after a month or so.

Thanks for all the info. Iam going to print this out and give it to my buddy. Thanks again for all your help. Oh yeah!! What A/C are you CA of?

MVSW said:
Thanks for all the info. Iam going to print this out and give it to my buddy. Thanks again for all your help. Oh yeah!! What A/C are you CA of?
No problem.....

Lear 31a-203 in Kuwait......Believe it or not, I was actually $earching for a job in this particular area on purpo$e, for obviou$ rea$on$.

warning: subliminal content :D

no no no, THIS is subliminal content...

drink diet coke...diet coke is good for you even if certain ingredients are known to cause cancer in lab rats, we at COCA-COLA corporate wish you would still drink a minimum of one can a day in order to increase our profit margins and allow us to continue in the life to which we have become used to...viva la coke!!!

Thanks Brett for the kind words and Uncle Sparky for remembering that I exist! :)

Yes, I have been suffering through kidney stones and I think I may have passed them all after the surgery. I feel so much better after the surgery - no more irritating, knock-me-down kind of pain!!

I have made a few posts during the last week, but it is hard when you get a week behind to catch up.

There was another thread where I listed a new job website last week. It is called www.indeed.com. Basically what it does is scour the internet job boards, company and government websites and lists all the positions. I found quite a few jobs using the word "pilot" without selecting a location. It is FREE!!!

What I did find out that disturbed me was that planejobs.com was posting a position for "paid members" that was listed for free on one or two other job sites. If they are scouring other websites and putting listings on their sites to get people to pay, I think that is a little unethical. This was reported by another member on this site.

I think climbto350.com is more reputable.

Hope the above information is helpful to the original poster and everyone else! :)

Kathy

Latest resources

Back