Need help from the FlightInfo pilot network

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rpatte1637

Hello everyone, I am looking for a low time pilot position, either PIC or SIC. I am a commercial SEL/MEL instrument pilot with a BS in Aviation Science from Utah Valley University. I have 730 hours total time, some turboprop time as SIC and meet VFR 135 minimums. I am currently on lay off from a non-aviation position and would like to find a job where I can either fly or move into a flying position at a later time (flight follower, dispatcher, lineman, ramp, etc.). Since I am on unemployment, I am eligible for funding from WIA to help my new employer with training cost. This could be helpful for other low time pilot in my position also, feel free to check with your local Department of Labor Office for WIA information. Each state and regional area has its own set of standards, but as for my regional area, it will reimburse half my salary back to my new employer, up to 440 hours as long as it not in a position that I have worked in before. If anyone knows of a position or employer that may be willing to take on a lower time pilot, if they could get back some of their initial investment, please contact me at [email protected]. I am located northwest of Atlanta, but will consider other areas for the right position. Again, thanks for the help everyone.

Scott

finding a job

Wish you the best of luck. Unfortunately I don't know of anything at the moment.

Posts such as that which started this thread continue to disgust.

You're inexperienced and unqualified. Rather than begging for handouts, get out and make your way like the rest of us had to do.

The false front of the 300 hour wonder is fortunately dead for now. Many of us needed several thousand hours to be competitive, and had to sacrifice to get there. A recent unrealistic hiring boom has created a generation that no longer understands this expectation, and wants it all now.

How about you forget draining the public coffers to bolster your unqualified and inexperienced certificate, and instead you go out and get a job towing banners or doing something else for which you are qualified...and get some experience?

AVBUG, I would be happy to fly banners, work the ramp, dispatch or what ever else I could to move into a pilot position at some point in time. All I am asking is, if someone knows where I can get a foot in the door, to please let me know and if WIA paying my employer $2500 to $3000 over three months will help, then so be it, it's no more than the unemployment that I am receiving now. I have sent out over 50 applications to aviation related positions in just the last month, after being laid off from a job where I was working as a service tech for a swimming pool company. I drove across country to the Grand Canyon for a chance to try for a position flying air tours. I also flew for six months with a local cargo carrier, on my time, just to gain some experience in the corporate world while waiting on a possible VFR 135 position, but the section I flew under was shut down. Some people will say that what I did was bad for other pilots, but I was not taking another pilot job, because they flew single pilot anyway, all I did was gain alot of experience that I would not have otherwise. I learned along time ago money isn't everything and the last job I had I made about 1/3 less than my highest paying position, I even took a 25% pay cut the last year and worked a week here and a week there without pay trying to help the company stay afloat. Life is to short to spend every day doing something you are not happy at, just to make more money than the Jones, I would much rather make a little less money and be happy. Its not from a lack of trying or even a matter of wanting a bright shinny new jet. I don't care about any of that, I just want to move into the field I decided I loved six years ago, when I decided to go back to college.

Last edited:
I flew with Corpjet for about six months and gained a little over 100 hour of real world IFR and CRM experience and would do it again without hesitation. It by far was one of the best learning experience I have had and I feel it made me a better pilot and much more comfortable flying IFR and working with ATC.

I also flew for six months with a local cargo carrier, on my time, just to gain some experience in the corporate world while waiting on a possible VFR 135 position, but the section I flew under was shut down.

Corporate experience from flying cargo? Sure you know what it is you're talking about there, sparky?

You performed pilot duties for no pay, or rode along during 135 or 121 operations? Hopefully you didn't touch the controls during that time or log it.

You say you "flew" under a section, implying you were actually doing the flying. Were you performing SIC duties for no pay, then? You'd probably be very wise to remain tight lipped about that, if you did engage is such pond-scum activities. Hopefully you didn't actually pay for that time. Flying for free would lower you to the level of whale-excrement, but paying for it would really put you on the bottom rungs. To what act are you admitting?

Some people will say that what I did was bad for other pilots, but I was not taking another pilot job, because they flew single pilot anyway, all I did was gain alot of experience that I would not have otherwise.

You gained experience from a single pilot operation?

You sound like you have heart:) Just hang in there- the hard times don't last forever. I am from the Portland, OR area and just talked to a previous instructor who said Ameriflight (cargo company) is a good company to fly for and they are usually looking for pilots in the Portland area. I'm not sure right now with how slow things are though. Another good place to look is FedEX and Hillsboro Aviation- the latter is based at the Hillsboro Airport in Oregon. I don't know about flying jobs, but they are good employers who are usually looking for good employees. Good luck and hang in there!

Hi!

Email Coastal Aviation and some of the other operators on Caravans and such in Tanzania. Then follow up with a call, and tell them you will be coming in person to talk to them about a job.

Show up in Dar-es-Salaam in person, and let them know you're ready to work (have a current US license/medical). You will probably get a job, and after working 6-18 mos, can probably have a choice of jobs in Africa.

We just hired two guys for the DC-9 that are very young and previously the biggest thing they flew was a B-1900.

cliff
NBO

Corporate experience from flying cargo? Sure you know what it is you're talking about there, sparky?

You performed pilot duties for no pay, or rode along during 135 or 121 operations? Hopefully you didn't touch the controls during that time or log it.

You say you "flew" under a section, implying you were actually doing the flying. Were you performing SIC duties for no pay, then? You'd probably be very wise to remain tight lipped about that, if you did engage is such pond-scum activities. Hopefully you didn't actually pay for that time. Flying for free would lower you to the level of whale-excrement, but paying for it would really put you on the bottom rungs. To what act are you admitting?

You gained experience from a single pilot operation?

Avbug, you are obviously very bitter. Take it easy on the kid. You have to get experience somewhere, you don't like it, get over it. He's not taking a job away from you. rpatte if you can get to the san diego, southern california area pm me I might be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back