Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HvyjetFO

Hello all,

My company currently flies a C650 and is interested in upgrading to a Falcon 50. I would appreciate anyone with Falcon 50 experience who can give me some insight. We need better runway performance and payload/range. As much as I'd like the ProLine 21 and Dash 4 combo, I dont think purchasing one like that is an option, but buying a straight 50 and putting in the PL21 cockpit may be (if its worth it).
Also any hourly costs/ performance #s appreciated.

Any thoughts?
Thanks-
Hvy

HyvJet. First off, you really can't bet the DA-50 on the runway perf, other than say a 900. Nuf said on that.

Most of the birds out there have the -3D mod, and don't look at any that don't. Most of those will be the really old airframes.

Next, there are close to 50 or so Falcon 50 airframes currently on the market. There are several that are already proline-21 modded, as well as the -3D mod and several that have the dash 4 mod. A real careful search might find a few with everything you want. And IMO, that's the best way to go.

Most 'candidate airframes' for a proline/-4 mod are for folks that have had an airframe for quite sometime and simply want to keep it.

In today's market with anywhere from 45 to 60 falcon 50's available, there is NO reason to go buy some ugly duckling and sink millions into it. Let the folks that have already take that huge hit, take it again, and buy one of those birds.

Also, don't discount the EX versions. There are a bunch out there, and while the proline 4 is not nearly as sexy as a proline 21 bird, it's MORE than capable, and a factory-delivered product.

Get someone in your court that knows these airframes, and work with them.

Go with the EX!!!
We were looking to upgrade b4 all the Sh!t hit the fan. The price of the EX's have dropped by $6m in the last 5 months. You can grab a 1999 sn with <5k TT for under $12m. With the -40 engines you get better performance & range.

Don't get a Dash 4. There's only a handful out there and if you shell one you'll have to ground your plane till your engine is rebuilt (no spares).

However if you still want info on the Dash 4, give West Star Aviation out of St. Louis a call. They own the STC and have 2 for sale. They'll send you a ton of info on it.

Last edited:
Go with the EX!!!
We were looking to upgrade b4 all the Sh!t hit the fan. The price of the EX's have dropped by $6m in the last 5 months. You can grab a 1999 sn with <5k TT for under $12m.
With the -40 engines you get better performance & range.

Are you still with NAA?

I'd have to agree. We operate -3d with the ProLine 21. With the way the prices are now, I'd seriously look at the EX.

Latest resources

Back