Need advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Aviator

I recently finished my A&P license and am trying to decided what to do. In 2008 I was hired by a regional as an FO and passed the checkride, but lost the job shortly thereafter due to the economy. No recall rights. Unable to find work, I decided to go back to school and get the A&P (did it in one year). I hope to work as a pilot again once the hiring picks up. However I have not been able to do much flying since I lost my job. At the moment, all I could get into most likely is an entry level job due to my lack of currency. I've talked to several banner towing operators and they really liked the fact that I would be able to help with the maintenance in additional to the flying. I'd be able to get enough hours for the ATP by the end of the season this way.

I'm also considering applying to several regional airlines as an A&P. I think I would enjoy doing this and am anxious to get some practical experience . I certainly miss the travel benefits. I'm not sure if being a pilot would help or hinder me as far as the hiring dept. is concerned. Have A&P's at the regional's moved on the pilot side?

So trying to decide where to focus my efforts – entry level job and get the ATP ASAP. Or work as an A&P and rent a twin occasionally to get my currency back. Current flight times 1230TT, 125ME, 47 turbine. Older midlife career changer, single, can relocate easily. Well aware of the pros and cons of this career. Any advice would be appreciated.

Get your ATP first since then you will be more marketable as a pilot. It mey become a 121 requirement someday.
You could also look for corporate work once you get it or for a 121 freight operator, an A&P is a plus there.
I worked as an A&P before flying and I went from mechanic to FE then FO at a 121 non-sked.

At my last job, our chief inspector resigned his position and took a position as a F/O with the company. It never hurts being employed as a mechanic for the same airline you would like to fly for. That being said, if I were you I think i would go with the banner flying gig to try and get current on the flying end of it before I worried about working as a mechanic. That's my $.02

Latest resources

Back