Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyzimex

Hey folks

As many of you probably already know I was up for an interview at Flex. Well, as I feared the sim just didn't go very well. Maybe I should have spent the big bucks for an hour to do a proper sim prep :(. Well, you live and you learn. The step from a 150 kts TAS Twin Otter to a "bat out of hell" Lear was simply a little too much. Didn't help that it took me a while to get the right feel for the trim. Flying a Lear raw data untrimmed can really get to you ;). In other words, I got the NO due to the sim evaluation. The 1 on 1 interview itself went very well and had nothing to do with the no.

Of course, initially it felt as a big set back but I quickly came up with a plan B that I believe can work rather well. Would just be nice to know from you guys who are already where I'd like to go if this is a good thing to do. I'm still convinced that the fracs are for me.

As I write this I'm sitting in the Sahara where I fly on a contract for an American oil company, Anadarco, who have a very good project set up here. I have a 5 on 5 off (weeks) schedule and make roughly what a NJA first year captain on the 7/7 makes, so the money is alright considering I'm on the Twotter.

Now to my plan. I know that what I lack to be really competitive is some time in a jet, and I'm thinking of signing up for the SimuFlite SIC program in Dallas (where I live) and do that during my weeks off.
By doing this I would be getting some good solid training and time in a jet (sim time off course but still), AND at the same time getting real time flying adding to my turbine PIC hours and also be making money.

Maybe some of you will say it would be better to get an intermediate jet job for real jet time experience, but I'm not much for taking a job I'm actually not that interested in and then leave a couple of months later if offered what I want. I prefer to interview for jobs I REALLY want.

Of course none of you guys know me personally, but I know myself and that jet experience, real or sim, is all I need to compete for the good jobs. I wont settle for anything that is less than good. Maybe sounds cocky, but I don't think anyone should NOT try to reach the highest of their potential.

As always I will appreciate any kind of help and advice..

FZ

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan to me. As far as the Flex experience, I agree that you live and learn. It's in the past now, but if you feel you could benefit from extra prep before and interview, just do it. Extra prep never hurts and it makes you feel better.

Good luck.

You want to get spun up on a Lear, Get an old MS Fltsim program an fly it for a while raw data. Even better, get an old computer joystick. No trim or feedback, but it will get your scan going. The other thing you did not mention, is CRM. This is a major big deal these days. At any frac, you will be part of a crew. Work hard on using the other guy to help when you are flying and bust your ass to help him when it's his turn. MHO

You want to get spun up on a Lear, Get an old MS Fltsim program an fly it for a while raw data. Even better, get an old computer joystick. No trim or feedback, but it will get your scan going. The other thing you did not mention, is CRM. This is a major big deal these days. At any frac, you will be part of a crew. Work hard on using the other guy to help when you are flying and bust your ass to help him when it's his turn. MHO

I appreciate your input, but it seems like you are giving me advice for the interview. Too late for that I'm afraid. My question is "what to do after getting the NO"..

As far as CRM I have no problems there. Have about 1800 hrs two crew and I do a JAA CRM course once a year. Not that you learn a whole lot during that class to be honest, but you do pick up some stuff listening to other people's CRM stories.
Thanks anyways..

FZ

That is an excellent plan. Working in one of those SIC programs will expose you to many potential job offers. The additional experience in the sim will obviously be a big benefit as well.

Consider an entry level jet job, like USA Jet. Do your training in a 121 airline cockpit environment in one of the great jet transition airplanes, the DA-20. We have been successful taking under 500 hr pilots and giving the skills to complete in the airline market place. With your time you could bid Captain in your first year. 2-3 years here you are on your way to NJ as 5 of our pilots did in the last year. Drop me a PM if interested in more info.

Consider an entry level jet job, like USA Jet. Do your training in a 121 airline cockpit environment in one of the great jet transition airplanes, the DA-20. We have been successful taking under 500 hr pilots and giving the skills to complete in the airline market place. With your time you could bid Captain in your first year. 2-3 years here you are on your way to NJ as 5 of our pilots did in the last year. Drop me a PM if interested in more info.

I always have heard the DA-20 was a bit of a rocket, or isn't it??? Or do you have a stellar training program for the thing?? Just curious....I have friends trying to find their way to NJA and I never thought of your place to get jet experience.

Pxssy Cat

I always have heard the DA-20 was a bit of a rocket, or isn't it??? Or do you have a stellar training program for the thing?? Just curious....I have friends trying to find their way to NJA and I never thought of your place to get jet experience.
No one who has flown anything beyond a CE-500 has every referred to the DA-20 as a Rocket. Cruise FL 330, .68M, 45 minutes to FL 350. Flies like a trainer, no real bad habits, easy to land, very stable, trims up nicely. But it flown as a true two-man cockpit with explicit crew duties, calls, profiles and it flies like a bigger jet. Our pilots go from the DA-20 to the DC-9 with few problems; we have moved pilots into the DC-9 with right around 1000 hours TT.

Last edited:
water under the bridge! Keep your chin up, get some jet time (or jet sim time), call KP and come back and interview. If they liked everything but the sim ride they will give you another interview to prove you are up to speed. I personally know of two guys that busted the sim ride and came back in 4 to 6 months and were hired after a good sim eval.

Good Luck!

water under the bridge! Keep your chin up, get some jet time (or jet sim time), call KP and come back and interview. If they liked everything but the sim ride they will give you another interview to prove you are up to speed. I personally know of two guys that busted the sim ride and came back in 4 to 6 months and were hired after a good sim eval.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the encouragement and the advices everyone. Nice to know I'm not the only one who ever busted the sim ride at Flex..

I do feel pretty good about my plan and I know I will soon make it. Just need a little bit more of patience and determination, which I have lots off.

FZ

Latest resources

Back