• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Need advice for teenager pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since he has flight experience already I would say tell him to get his Certifed Flight Instructor Rating, then start college. American Flyers had a good program when I did it 18 Years ago (yikes, I am old). While in college he can instruct and build time on the weekends and get paid. When I was in college I worked in a campus office and a resturant while my some of my friends were building flight hours instructing. They were two years ahead of me in the job market when they graduated, and they were looking for airline pilot jobs while I was still sending out resumes for flight instructor positions.

The degree thing is important. All the professional pilots that I know that don't have degrees are working on them. A non-avition career choice is good also. Education, nursing, engineering, criminal justice, and Aviation Maintenance Management (where you get an A&P license) are all good choices.

I would also strongly recommend Air Force or Navy ROTC or Marine PLC. Its hard to get a entry level job as a pilot so a lot of guys graduate then try to get into the military so they can fly for Uncle Sam. Its a lot easier to do ROTC and get a commission. My advisor told me this in my Freshmen year and I didn't listen. It took me three years after I graduated to finally get picked up by the military.

This info is priceless. Thank all of you for taking the time to respond. Hindsight is 20/20, & ya'll have alot of it. I'm still reading. Thanks again,Steve

Everyone is right. Definitely not an aviation degree (wish someone had told me that as I have one of the useless things). Im pretty sure from my time in SC that the state has both fixed wing, at least a king air i think, and rotary. Sounds like hes well on his way with his ratings and time so going to a pilot mill is probably not necessary. I would assume there are some banner towing operations along the coast. Augusta Aviation out of DNL in GA as I recall used to have some low time guys sitting right seat. Where in SC do you live? As for wanting to fly NOW I dont think he should be in any rush. With the current job market it probably wont make much difference if he gets all his ratings in 6 months or 12. Now is the time to get educated and position himself well for when the hiring picks up.

Good advice from all. The quick schools in my opinion are for the later in life people who may have the time and money and are moving on later in life for a new career. The fire hose approach is better as they do not have the time to teach for years.
I have a 20 year old friend who is teaching and going to both ERAU and taking courses in junior college. The jr college courses are the same ones he could take at ERAU but at half to two thirds the price.
At 22, he will have the college, all his ratings, and considerable time except turbine. Business administration would be my choice on the degree.
I had another young minority woman who sped through her business degree at local college and we got her in the Coast Guard. She was an instructor, worked in accounting at the airport, and made the C130 program. When she comes out, if she wants to, she will be right in.

Latest resources

Back