Need a co-pilot.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Shamus said:
Thanks for the good work, we're all proud of you. USA! USA!

Thank you.

AerroMatt said:
I paid my debt to my country. 'Nuff said.

You PAID (past tense) your debt to the country? You, I and every other tax paying sucker in this country will be paying our so called debt to this country until the day we die!
AKA the 30% to 40% of our menial pilot pay that is stolen from us by the government.

pipejockey said:
You PAID (past tense) your debt to the country? You, I and every other tax paying sucker in this country will be paying our so called debt to this country until the day we die!
AKA the 30% to 40% of our menial pilot pay that is stolen from us by the government.

If you are paying 30% to 40% in taxes you need to get a new tax advisor, because your getting shafted. This is a pretty easy profession to write off a large portion and drastically reduce your tax burdon.

Last edited:
Uh oh....
Another pilot trying to figure out his own taxes. Unfortunately pipejockey isn't far off the mark. Let's figure 15% average to the feds for income tax only, then you are paying about 7% for Social Security and Medicare, if you really want to make his case, add the 7% that the employer matches for you, which he probably would rather pay to the employees, add another 5% for state taxes and you are up to 27%, let's add what you pay in local sales tax, property tax, etc, and 30-40% isn't far off.

Most taxes for people could probably be calculated without filing a return, the gubment already has the info, W-2's, 1099's etc. A tax advisor isn't going to help most people who don't earn very much money, which is what pilot's earn as employees.

And another thing, when you get a refund from the goverment, they aren't doing that because they are nice people, that is money that you have already paid in, they are simply returning what they stole from you.

getonit said:
Uh oh....
if you really want to make his case, add the 7% that the employer matches for you, which he probably would rather pay to the employees, add another 5% for state taxes and you are up to 27%, let's add what you pay in local sales tax, property tax, etc, and 30-40% isn't far off.

Thank you. That was my point. ALL taxes that are paid over the course of a year, not just income tax.

[/quote]add the 7% that the employer matches for you, which he probably would rather pay to the employees, add another 5% for state taxes and you are up to 27%, let's add what you pay in local sales tax, property tax, etc, and 30-40% isn't far off.

Most taxes for people could probably be calculated without filing a return, the gubment already has the info, W-2's, 1099's etc. A tax advisor isn't going to help most people who don't earn very much money, which is what pilot's earn as employees.

And another thing, when you get a refund from the goverment, they aren't doing that because they are nice people, that is money that you have already paid in, they are simply returning what they stole from you.[/quote]

Lets take the 7% away that your employer is paying because....that is not you and we were talking about what you are paying. Then lets look at your W-4 which allows you to control your withholding in the first place, its not a gift back to you but you can control the amount withheld each month.
I am not saying our tax system is great, all I am saying is that there is alot of expenses you can write off as non reimbursed expenses in this business keep your tax liability well below the 30-40% mark that was claimed. I own a house and make 75K between myself and my wife, and owe far less than that including our property taxes. (we do not have a sales tax, I do believe that would hurt us more than our normal property taxes.)

not really sure why that did not quote correctly, that was from getonit

Last edited:
I'm Game

Hey I'll go - lets take my plane! I need to fly Sean Penn and George Clooney over anyways.

Air Kelly, like nothing else you've ever ridden...

Latest resources

Back