• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NDB/RNAV approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And there were no operable NDB's or available NDB approaches within reasonable flying distance, or in the state

At some point that's going to be true again, and you will have seen it come full circle!

I didn't see anyone else address this so I will just to see if I can throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing. Is the NDB approach even approved for RNAV? I know most have been, but if it hasn't been then the simple answer is no. However its not bad situational awareness.

No, it's not an approved RNAV approach; just a simple NDB. I was just asking about it for situational awareness purposes because in actual IMC you can bet I'm going to use it as a backup assuming I decide to even shoot the partial panel NDB in the first place as opposed to divirting somewhere with a positive guidance approach or even some sort of surveilance approach.

Tarp- to answer your question: The advantage of creating a waypoint over the NDB is that you could then fly the NDB final approach course by setting to OBS for the course and following the needles (for situational awareness only, obviously) I understand that flying the feeder route would only involve tracking outbound from the VOR, though at that point I'd probably be going direct to the NDB anyhow.

Thanks for the input everyone

Yeah, that's where I thought you were going - and of course the DE is just going to switch the RNAV unit off so you have to fly the ugly needle on the ADF or he's going to let you hang yourself on a service volume issue (busted).

Cruel guy - partial panel NDB for a checkride? I can see giving you a partial panel on a VOR, but thats just cruel to lose your DG on an NDB approach (FOR THE CHECKRIDE). He'll probably be the type that tells you not to look up at the mag compass (cheating a glance outside). I can hear it now, "keep your head down son and fly the approach, ask for the heading and I'll give you the value".

My instructor who was definitely out of the dark ages did that time after time - by the time I took the checkride, I felt like I could fly an NDB approach blindfolded and with one hand tied behind my back.

Good luck on your ride, you sound ready.

I swear, I must be the only person in the world that's weird enough to think that an NDB approach (full or parial panel) is less difficult than a VOR approach. No knob to turn - just look at the ADF needle and fly what's written on the plate. I was given a partial panel NDB approach followed by a miss and a hold, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. For some reason I've found that finding a good wind correction angle while partial panel is easier and faster with the ADF than the VOR.

The only thing I don't like about NDB crap is listening to the stupid morse over and over and over again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back