• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NDB/ADF holding question???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bearing, when used in reference to a radio beacon, is the direction from the station.

When one uses the term "bearing to a station" one is actually referring to a course from the airplane to the station, rather than a station indication or reference. The same could be said of a bearing to a barn or lake. It's a course plotted from the aircraft to that object. When used in reference to aerial navigation by beacon, the using the term "bearing" in relationship to a station is technically incorrect; bearing represents the direction from the station to the aircraft.

A bearing to something is a straight line heading reference without regard to wind correction or current correction.

For uniformity, it's easiest to think in terms of radials and bearings as being the same. They aren't, in that a radial is highly directional and definable, while a bearing isn't, but consider their relationship on a RMI; they become the same.

I'm hoping that someone clicking on the thread will read the entire thread rather than just one response, as few responses are stand-alone answers.

Your final comment is the most important and critical one; if there ever exists any question, immediate clarification should be sought.

I dissagree with a few of the statements posted above.

Here in central florida, I've found that the common frasiology is "hold north of ndb on 180 bearing to the station" Which certainly seems to simplify the mental picture and appears to be correct.

As for the meaning of bearing the aim definition is: direction to or from any point.

I believe all examples using the phrase "hold on 123 bearing from ndb" is imposible because there is no definable point while outbound from an ndb. ATC is only correct if they say "bearing to" when concerning ndb holds.

Also, the aim does suggest atc give a cardinal position of the hold. ie. hold north of ndb.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back