NBAA Show News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Single Carrier Lawsuit?

No quotes from Bill Olsen. No mention of the pending Single Carrier Lawsuit between NJA/I. No mention of NJE.

Single Carrier Lawsuit?

I wasn't aware that a single Carrier Lawsuit was " PENDING ".
My understanding was that the Union Boy had agreed NOT to file a singleCarrier lawsuit until after Nov 2008.

Then it is still only their OPTION, after all they could have filed a single Carrier suit anytime during the last 10 YEARS!

I wasn't aware that a single Carrier Lawsuit was " PENDING ".
My understanding was that the Union Boy had agreed NOT to file a singleCarrier lawsuit until after Nov 2008.

Then it is still only their OPTION, after all they could have filed a single Carrier suit anytime during the last 10 YEARS!

The previous contract would not allow the union to file single carrier. The new one does, after three years from the date of ratification. I've wondered why three years and have come up with an idea, based upon the recent events with new orders for NJE and several G's that were going to NJI but went to NJE. I have a hard time believing NJE can sell a couple dozen Falcon 7X's. Way too small a market, much less territory, to justify all the long range equipment.

RTS is no dumbass. If he thinks he'll lose, what's to stop him from dumping NJI altogether, sending the assets to NJE and flying all 91k international flights, and farming off the 135 flights to EJM? He has three years to set up any contingency plans. He avoids cabatoge (sp) and prevents the big bad union from getting any more class 4 jets. Read the article in Aviation Week dated 10-02-06 and see his words regarding large cabin jets for the US market.

I don't think it matters even if NJI folks joined 1108. RTS sent the NJI offices to GA for a reason. I may be wrong, but if Georgia is a right to work state and before NJA/NJI is considered single carrier, what's to stop the man from doing just that and dumping most if not all NJI pilots before single carrier is ruled upon? Unions can't prevent that in right to work states. I know, he promised to take good care of NJI. I wouldn't bet my life on that. I'll bet Ichan and Lorenzo said something similar.

I'm not trying to be contentious here, rather throwing out what ifs to consider. Joining 1108 or not won't stop this from happening if that's his intention. I just have a real hard time trusting any management lately. They make their fortune and dump on the working stiffs when their goose stops laying the golden egg.

I read all the articles and all I saw was mention that there were 420 non-union pilots. Was this your interpretation of the article?:

"Netjets sucks because it has a Union... but Flexjets rocks"

Flex had a good year last year and this year seems to be going extremely well. No flame here. I'll let everyone read the articles and let them draw their own conclusions.

hey Frax,

We're doing so well this year that none of us will get a raise out of it or any work rule changes to our benefit. Keep on drinkin.

Pervis,

1. It's not Georgia, it's South Carolina and yes it is a right to work state.

2. There is not enough Gulfstream lift at EJM to cover the domestic Gulfstream flying. The NJE aircraft are all registered in Portugal. Under current DOT regulations, foreign registered aircraft can only fly 6 charter flights to, from, and within the U.S. each year (AIN article this month). Many of the domestic Gulfstream flights are Marquis and therefore Part 135. Hence, NJE couldn't cover them.

3. I believe a sale of one division or the other would happen before a single carrier decision by the NMB and I give that about 4-1 against. The infrastructure and the customers at NJI are sufficient to make it a stand-alone business should it come to that.

4. NJI pilots, as a group, will not voluntarily join 1108. That horse has left the barn.

Pervis,

1. It's not Georgia, it's South Carolina and yes it is a right to work state.

2. There is not enough Gulfstream lift at EJM to cover the domestic Gulfstream flying. The NJE aircraft are all registered in Portugal. Under current DOT regulations, foreign registered aircraft can only fly 6 charter flights to, from, and within the U.S. each year (AIN article this month). Many of the domestic Gulfstream flights are Marquis and therefore Part 135. Hence, NJE couldn't cover them.

3. I believe a sale of one division or the other would happen before a single carrier decision by the NMB and I give that about 4-1 against. The infrastructure and the customers at NJI are sufficient to make it a stand-alone business should it come to that.

4. NJI pilots, as a group, will not voluntarily join 1108. That horse has left the barn.

I thought NJI moved to Savanah-my mistake. As far as NJE covering trips, I'll bet most international flying is part 91k. Saw a 900EX, G450 and G550 in TEB this tour, all NJE. Lots more out there not including the 24 Falcon 7Xs RTS just ordered, and a couple of new Gs that were pegged for NJI went to NJE, according to one of your pilots. NJI stand alone? Maybe. A significant percentage of G owners fly in my jet. Several revenue flights per tour are NJI owners flying NJA jets. We cover each other more than many people care to believe. I agree that domestic coverage is one thing that gives NJI security though.

I do agree that a sale or some other option will happen before single carrier is heard at the NMB. The question is, what will happen to NJI pilots. I carry no ill will for any of us. I just have a feeling this will get very ugly. As far as NJI joining 1108, that's not my call. I will say that there are those in the opinion that any merger without dues paying memebers will result in the least favorable seniority rights that the union can get past the arbitrator. That is not my opinion at all, but I am but one dough head.

You folks over there do what you feel is best, and I wish you the best. There's a big enough pie for all of us to nibble on. All I'm saying is things are happening that may suprise all of us, and not something that makes us simple line guys feel very good.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back