Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Swim Lessons

Reading this quote reminded me about something:
Before you start worrying too much about the GPA requirement you probably want to ask yourself how well you can swim. Long before you even get to Navy primary they are going to do their best to drown you in API (Aviation Preflight Indoctrination).

A bi-product of Joint SUPT is that our international friends that would have gone to an AF flight school suddenly may find themselves at a Naval flight school. Back when I was a UPT IP we had students from Kuwait and Saudi. One of my students, a Kuwaiti, told me that his friend went to Pensacola and has spent the last 6 months learning to swim. He couldn't get past the swimming indoc. You'd think the Navy would have yielded on that issue, but nooooo.

Re: Swim Lessons

CCDiscoB said:
Back when I was a UPT IP we had students from Kuwait and Saudi. One of my students, a Kuwaiti, told me that his friend went to Pensacola and has spent the last 6 months learning to swim. He couldn't get past the swimming indoc. You'd think the Navy would have yielded on that issue, but nooooo.

How ridiculous and insensitive of the Navy, expecting its pilots, to be able to swim and escape from a cockpit in the water. Where's the logic in that?

What if the stress of the water training has damaged some of the students’ self-esteem?

Let's see, Kuwait is bordered by a body of water known as the Arabian Gulf. Hmmmm. Also, training of international students is not a by-product of SUPT, both the Navy and the Air Force have been doing it for decades. Let the flaming digression continue....

Re: Off topic, I know...

Abe_Froman said:
Hey Mr. Griffin:

Since when is "C-130 Combat Talon" a rating?

Just curious.

I also wrote "jumped not flown". I am very lucky and have had the opportunity to jump the C-130 Blackbird many times. Tactical night rubber duck drops are something that not very many people get the opportunity to do. It is a great airplane with great crews.

Please edumacate me

Just a question. What is the C-130 Blackbird? Not flaming, just questioning.

Adios,

SR

Re: Please edumacate me

Skyrunner said:
Just a question. What is the C-130 Blackbird? Not flaming, just questioning.

Adios,

SR

It's the mythical airplane he pretends to jump out of.

Hugh, Let me clarify. I never said that the training of international students is a by-product of SUPT. The training of international students by the navy is a by-product of JSUPT.

Griff, if swimming was such a critical necessity to become a pilot, then why doesn’t’ the AF train their pilots to swim? Because we don’t fly off of boats, that’s why. The task you mentioned, escape from cockpit in water is strictly a carrier requirement. A Kuwaiti, flying over the Gulf, will eject long before he needs to rely on his swimming skills to get himself out of the cockpit. That’s what water survival training is for. That’s why we fly with LPUs. To read what you guys wrote, everyone needs swimming lessons. What about Saudi student pilots? Should they go through the Naval haze? Save the swim lessons for the PJs and Seals.

Latest resources

Back