Navy Reserves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Murdoughnut

Hi guys - just looking for some advice. I'm considering joining the Navy Reserves through the Direct Officer Commissioning program. I'd be going into intelligence as this is where my degree would be best utilized.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the matter - is this a good decision? My reason for joining is essentially that I'm bored, and it seemed like it would be an interesting thing to do. Not to say I don't want to serve my country, but I thought I'd be completely honest about what my reasons were going into this. I have a pretty good understanding of military culture, having spent a lot of time at Hickam with my g'father (who just retired) and coming from a military family. I had considered ROTC in college, but never committed.

Are the benefits of the reserves worth joining? I'd be interested to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

If the "benefits" of being in the reserves include the satisfaction of serving your country, then yes it is worth it. Don't join for the health care, retirement or pay because you may find out that the sacrafices you will be called upon to make outweigh the material benefits of being in the reserves.

I commend you on wanting to serve and wish you well in your endeavors, however, let me caution you about your career specialty. Intel officers are a hot commodity in the military today. You should have no problem getting picked up. That being said, be VERY prepared for a 12 month activation in whatever litter box Uncle Sam needs you. The role of the "weekend warrior" has been dramatically redefined since the start of the war on terror. So, if that is what you are looking for... good luck and god bless.

Last edited:
Oh-ryan said:
If the "benefits" of being in the reserves include the satisfication of serving your country, then yes it is worth it. Don't join for the health care, retirement or pay because you may find out that the sacrafices you will be called upon to make outweigh the material benefits of being in the reserves.

I commend you on wanting to serve and wish you well in your endeavors, however, let me caution you about your career specialty. Intel officers are a hot commodity in the military today. You should have no problem getting picked up. That being said, be VERY prepared for a 12 month activation in whatever litter box Uncle Sam needs you. The role of the "weekend warrior" has been dramitically redefined since the start of the war on terror. So, if that is what you are looking for... good luck and god bless.

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, I think my most important reason for wanting to join is actually boredom. I'm 26 and am growing tired of the 9-5 then come home and be b!tched at by the old lady thing. I don't have a lot of hobbies (other than flying) and the reserves just seems like an opportunity to both serve my country, and do something I might enjoy. I realize this probably isn't the best reason to join, but I wanted to to be honest about what I'm looking for. Pay or "benefits" really matter little to me. It'd be nice to be able to take hops from time to time and shop at the exchange.

It's interesting what you say about intelligence, however. I assumed it would be the type of job that would limit my likelihood of being called up full-time. By no means is that a deal breaker for me, but given the choice, I'd rather remain on reserve status. The recruiter told me that I'd most likely be stationed at Macdill AFB here in Tampa (where I live). They run a lot of mission ops stuff throught there, don't they?

Thanks again for the insight!

Ah yes Tampa. The base is a flurry of activity for CENTCOM and SOCCOM, so yes your recruiter was right in saying that you may end up there. You could actually be "activated" for 12 months and spend it all at MacDill, or you could get sent to the desert for the entire 12 months. Even if you are based at MacDill you could still get your desert ticket punched with some TDYs that they may send you on. Even though you are activated you are still considered a "reservist". You will revert back to your weekend warrior status when your activation orders expire.

Sounds like you are looking to get away from the mundane life of cubicle work. Another word of caution, military intel isn't all that thrilling. I say that as a former military pilot who has seen what intel guys do. Sure there are exceptions, but the majority of the the folks I encounter spend their days in a windowless/soundproof room staring at SIPRNET (classified internet) computers preparing briefs for senior officers. You will still be in a cubicle, but you will be wearing a uniform. Don't get me wrong, these guys provide an valuable service, but it may not be what you are looking for in the long term.

Oh-ryan said:
Ah yes Tampa. The base is a flurry of activity for CENTCOM and SOCCOM, so yes your recruiter was right in saying that you may end up there. You could actually be "activated" for 12 months and spend it all at MacDill, or you could get sent to the desert for the entire 12 months. Even if you are based at MacDill you could still get your desert ticket punched with some TDYs that they may send you on. Even though you are activated you are still considered a "reservist". You will revert back to your weekend warrior status when your activation orders expire.

Sounds like you are looking to get away from the mundane life of cubicle work. Another word of caution, military intel isn't all that thrilling. I say that as a former military pilot who has seen what intel guys do. Sure there are exceptions, but the majority of the the folks I encounter spend their days in a windowless/soundproof room staring at SIPRNET (classified internet) computers preparing briefs for senior officers. You will still be in a cubicle, but you will be wearing a uniform. Don't get me wrong, these guys provide an valuable service, but it may not be what you are looking for in the long term.

Thanks for your advice - I appreciate your insight. It's definitely something I'll have to think about. I really don't want to be called up active duty. Not that I can't handle it, but it just really wouldn't work well with family and work commitments. I wouldn't mind being sent overseas for a few weeks - it would be a great thing to experience, but I just really think that things at home would fall apart if I were gone for 12 months. Definitely have to rethink the whole thing - but thanks again for your help.

I would not be surprised if you were called for a 6-12 month trip to the litter box. Quite a few of the Naval Officers undergoing "ARMY TRAINING!" with me at Ft Jackson, SC (Gentlemens' Boot Camp) were intel types. There is a big push to get Navy guys on the ground in one of the two vacation spots.

Murdoughnut said:
I assumed it would be the type of job that would limit my likelihood of being called up full-time.
There aren't too many of those jobs left these days. The latest I heard was that the Navy had about 3000 folks in Iraq/Afghanistan now but they're expecting it to go up to 12,000 over the next few years.

I just delivered a herc full of Navy IA's to the sandbox not too long ago, it was about a 50/50 split between active duty and reserves.

Murdoughnut said:
I'm 26 and am growing tired of the 9-5 then come home and be b!tched at by the old lady thing.

There's nothing like a 12 month active duty stint in the sandbox to make you miss working 9-5 and coming home to be b!tched at by the old lady!;)

Latest resources

Back