Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navy Reserve to AF Reserve Transition...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RogerMOSA

GSD247
There is an opportunity for me to transition to an AF Reserve unit in the near future. I'm assuming that there are some folks out there that have done the same thing. If the unit decides to pick me up, how does the transition process work and how long does it usually take to complete.

Thanks,
RM

A Long Time.

Actually, In your case should be about 6 months to a year. you will need to compose a Aeronautical review Board Waiver package, consisting of about every piece of Navy training you ever did, to include your ATJ Summary, every checkride, every promotion order, Every thing in your Natops jacket, copy of your Logbook, etc. Find another guy who has gone thru the process in the unit you're going to and ask to see his, and put it together just like it. If not, find another unit with someone who has crossed into the blue, and call them up. There is an AF instruction about this, your unit should know about this.

You'll also need a AF physical from a AF force Flight surgeon, but it will be more like a NAMI whammi, rather than the gentleman's senior o-3 physical you're getting now. Lower your cholesterol now, if its high, the AF has a hard on for the stuff. Polichosanal and Red Yeast Rice work, with a no red meat diet.

Other wise I'd say you're making a good choice. No up or out, Reserves and guard is almost like the Navy, and way less politics than Active duty.

HoursHore is accurate about the process.

Our unit has hired at least three ex-Navy guys. One quit soon after training because he didn't care for the AF way of training. One was allowed to quit because he wasn't comfortable instructing the AF way. And one was furloughed from his airline and subsequently returned to active duty (AF). So all in all, we batted .333 with Navy dudes. There is no written commitment to stay on after PIT (we're a SUPT associate squadron) but a WOM promise the guy will stay at least 3 years. I'm not sure our unit is willing to put out the effort (right now) to process another "un" Air Force IP.

The key is to find a unit willing to wait 6 months plus for the paperwork to clear and "chance" you'll stay on.

Also, it WILL be a culture shock if you're willing to "cross into the blue".

TD,

Are you at CBM?

Is the T-1 side looking for people?

Just wondering if I should make some calls now that I am in the Mid South.

Not current but would like to instruct inthe TONE again.

Last edited:
HoursHore, TD -

Thanks for the replies. I am committed to putting in the effort and time. After 10 years active, I want to put in another 10+ in the Reserves. I am currently commuting to my reserve squadron now, which makes drilling a pain. The AFR unit is easily drivable and offers much more stability and longevity.

RM

Talondriver,

Will your squadron grant an age waiver for someone to go to UPT then comeback and be an instructor? I'm a Reserve Navy NFO, but Civilian Airline Pilot. Age 35...looking for a shot at becoming a military pilot.

There's no doubt that I will have to embrace the AF way. :)

Panda

Panda,

The 340th Flying Training Group is an associate program with squadrons at all the AF JSUPT/JPPTflying training bases and PIT at RND. When the program was set up in the late 90s, it was sold to the air force as a way to bring/keep experienced instructors in the training command. We do not get any initial training slots to send people to pilot training. In fact, we are supposed to have MWS qualified Aircraft commanders but we can get waivers for those individuals that do not meet those criteria, but even that is hard to do. The active duty can make people FAIPS, but we have no current FAIPS (other than the new post 9/11 definition--Furloughed Airline Instructor Pilot), we have to go to bat pretty hard to take a guy from either active duty or another guard or reserve unit who has not upgraded to aircraft commander in their airplane.

If I could, I would love for us reserve IPs to be able to highlight certain students from guard and reserve units that do really well at UPT with the right attitude and aptitude who already have their CFIs or more on the civilian tickets, borrow them from their units after they had a year or so in their MWS for a two year plus PIT active tour if they and their units were willing. We could get that guy two years of active duty points plus 1000+ hours of PIC/Instructor time right away, the air force would get young wiling near FAIP instructors, the UPT students would benefit by having a young guy who could relate to their recent UPT experiences yet offer the perspective of being operational in an MWS, their gaining units would get a guy back who has much more valuable experience and judgement, and the individual would have the PIC time they need to pursue a civilian career if they desired. The only loser would be the guard/reserve unit that sponsored those guys in the first place would be without their services for 2 1/2 years.

Talondriver,

Hope you don't mind if I answered a question directed your way.

Say hi to anybody from the old SKF bomb squadron for me.

Roger,
The previous advice is right on. I would add talk to your AFR recruiter as he plays a large part in the paperwork. Once the unit accepts you, it is the recruiter that actually runs the paperwork through the system, and there lies the potential nightmare. It seems every person I have met that made the conversion (myself included) has had something go wrong at somepoint. Plan on spending some time with him or her and find out as much as you can about the system, then talk with us if you have any questions about the process. Hopefully we can save you a little heartache. Personally, the recruiter I worked with was excellent, and his efforts to keep me from having a break in service paid off in a big way. But, if I hadn't worked closely with him or if he had not been as salty as he was, things might have taken quite a bit longer than the 9 months that it did take. Best of luck.

Latest resources

Back