• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WorldOnTime

Dumb A-- Ashy Larry
Hi all,

Quick question: I inherited a plaque with a ship's bell that was given to my grandfather when he retired from the US Navy. His rank was listed as HTC. The dates are 1948-1966. I can't find what rank this would be...Chief, etc. Thanks in advance.

WorldOnTime said:
Hi all,

Quick question: I inherited a plaque with a ship's bell that was given to my grandfather when he retired from the US Navy. His rank was listed as HTC. The dates are 1948-1966. I can't find what rank this would be...Chief, etc. Thanks in advance.

He was a Chief with an HT rate (Hull Tech). Pipefitting, sheet metal and framing repair, non-destructive testing, damage control, etc.

At the time he got the plaque, he was an E-7 (plain vanilla Chief). Senior Chief would have been abbreviated HTCS, and Master Chief HTCM.

Nice momento. Glad you are able to keep it in the family.

Cheifs are the salt of the earth... earning their respect is an achievement in itself.

Skids right on.. Cheif Hull Tech. HT1 would be a Hull Tech 1st class (E-6), HT2 Hull Tech Second Class (E-5) and so forth.

Thanks guys. My grandfather is in the throws of Alzheimer's, so his memory is a bit shaky. He was a Marine in WWII and then went on into the Navy after the war. The Hull Tech makes sense because he was a welding instructor. I am very glad to have the bell, it is a special momento. He had some great stories about being aboard ship. Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back