• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fins Up

Fly Fast, Live Slow
Fellas,

I'm considering making the jump from Selres to IRR in the near future. Any guidance on the best way to go about it?

Go to your unit and talk to them. Explain your situation and they'll help you out. Something to think about, with current manning the way it is, you may have issues coming back when you realize you miss the extra paycheck. Also, being in the IRR may move you up a notch on the mobilization list. I hope your job is as stable as you believe it is. The reserves are a great thing to have in your back pocket when you get furloughed.

Make sure your ready for an IA

Fellas,

I'm considering making the jump from Selres to IRR in the near future. Any guidance on the best way to go about it?

Ironically, you'll increase your odds for an IA by going to the IRR. Last year they actually took several hundred officers in the IRR and IA prepped them and ranked them on IA potential thinking that if they get the call, their ready, if not, they are free from IA for a few years. If not qualified for an IA, they are removed from the IRR and I know some who quit altogether over it saying if I didn't want to participate as a SELRES, they sure didn't want to activate.
Also, don't forget you can be promoted in the IRR as well, so make sure your record is up to date when converting.

Ironically, you'll increase your odds for an IA by going to the IRR.

That's BS! Since the beginning of OIF/OEF not a single reservist in the Navy's IRR has been mobilized involuntarily.

If you are a JO and you stay out for a couple of years you should not have a problem returning to a pay billet. However, it is always based on the needs of the navy. Now, if you are a senior 04 or above that's a different story. You will definitely not make 05 in the IRR unless you are a medical professional with a critical specialty.

good luck

SJFLYER

Ironically, you'll increase your odds for an IA by going to the IRR.

That's BS! Since the beginning of OIF/OEF not a single reservist in the Navy's IRR has been mobilized involuntarily.

If you are a JO and you stay out for a couple of years you should not have a problem returning to a pay billet. However, it is always based on the needs of the navy. Now, if you are a senior 04 or above that's a different story. You will definitely not make 05 in the IRR unless you are a medical professional with a critical specialty.

good luck

SJFLYER

Last edited:
If you just need a break from drilling, ask for a six month Admin Hold; usually you can get that approved. Doesn't change your recall status. Still need to do a PRT.

Getting ready to come home from the Old Sandbox....but since I'm still furloughed from the "real job", I think I'll find a place to stay on active duty for awhile. It's all in the math: O-5 over 16 is greater than UIC!

Latest resources

Back