• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What'd they do, tie the Navion down with bungee cords? Those straps shouldn't have stretched out like that.

The rubber window mouldings are available, they're the same as automotive, along with the lock strip in the middle.

I'm sure I could find lots of pictures of other aircraft destroyed by wind.
Until you flip it upside down while parked
That's something I'm not really so worried about.

The Automotive rubber strips are designed for much thicker windows and especially frames. If you were to use those, you run the risk of your rear windows popping out...

EDIT:

TD TURBO: In all fairness I would certainly recommend a 182 RG over the Navion - I just feel like your evidence is inconclusive.

Last edited:
fr0g said:
The Automotive rubber strips are designed for much thicker windows and especially frames. If you were to use those, you run the risk of your rear windows popping out...

These weren't. They weren't the ones from J C Whitney, they were from an auto restoration supply house. When I put the plexiglass panes in the channel, they were tighter than socks on a rooster. I ended up using almost a half tube of DC-4 lube.

fr0g said:
I'm sure I could find lots of pictures of other aircraft destroyed by wind.

That's something I'm not really so worried about.

EDIT:

TD TURBO: In all fairness I would certainly recommend a 182 RG over the Navion - I just feel like your evidence is inconclusive.

Evidence being inconclusive?

These are recent untouched pictures for christ sake, I don't care what kind of glass you use. the cockpit collapses if upside down, killing anyone inside. You better take a closer look at the pics.

Note to other poster with the Bungie cord comment.

This plane was tied down with CHAINS, they were ripped loose from their attachment points at the AIRFRAME. The tiedown you see in the pic is rope and was put on after the roll-over.

That is interesting about the weak topside on the Nav. I wonder how it compares to a bonanza, cherokee, or other low-wing plane in that regard. They may be built like tanks but that weakness is something that I'm definately going to have to think some more about.

What are some of the more interesting mods out there?

I would think to get that thing certified it would have to have a roll cage. You bring up some good points with the other aircraft types, makes me even happier I have a high wing.

What business do you have being upside down on the ground anyway? I bet you cant see a thing while taxiing for that dam panel.

Anybody have any pics or links to pics of other low-wing aircraft on their backs, or have first hand knowledge of how the held up? I really wouldn't give a chit about the canopy strength issue if it wasn't for the fact that I'm going to be flying my father, sister, niece, nephew etc. If it was just me, then I would have already bought it. It's proabably safer than what I do in a Pitts anyway, but its my responsibility to make sure the precious cargo is in the safest situation possible. You would probably have to do some pretty stupid chit to get a tricycle gear plane on its back, but stranger things happen.......

Latest resources

Back