Naval IFS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

groundpointsix

Has anyone had experience training these students? For those who are unfamiliar, this is the navy's screening program before they send pilots to Pensacola for training. More specifically, has anyone had a student who they were not able to meet the required milestones with? How did you prepare the student for the fact that they might not be able to make it? I'm getting close to the point where my student needs to solo and I'm not sure he'll be able to meet the goal. I don't want to stress him out more than he already is, but at the same time I don't want it to be a shock when he gets to that point and I'm not willing to sign him off because of safety concerns. He's making progress and I think he definately would solo if I could get an extra 5 hours before I was required to solo him.

Thanks.

groundpointsix said:
He's making progress and I think he definately would solo if I could get an extra 5 hours before I was required to solo him.

Thanks.

Have you talked to him and his chain of command about it? Obviously the Naval Aviation training program is full of criticism and critique, if he can't take it at this stage he's going to have serious trouble in the future. Anyway, if you're professional about it it shouldn't be an issue, and if he doesn't make the cutoff, he will probably go to a PRB. With a good statement/recommendation from you and the chief pilot (i.e. what you said above) there's a pretty good chance they'll give him another shot. One of my buddies went to three PRBs (in IFS) before he was attrited from the program. (I went through the abbreviated program for Student NFOs last year.)

mudkow60 said:
What if you told him to get some "off the record" flight hours outside of the program?

According to the instruction it's not authorized. We had to sign an agreement saying we wouldn't participate in any flying other than IFS while in IFS.

MECEPGrad said:
Have you talked to him and his chain of command about it? Obviously the Naval Aviation training program is full of criticism and critique, if he can't take it at this stage he's going to have serious trouble in the future. Anyway, if you're professional about it it shouldn't be an issue, and if he doesn't make the cutoff, he will probably go to a PRB. With a good statement/recommendation from you and the chief pilot (i.e. what you said above) there's a pretty good chance they'll give him another shot. One of my buddies went to three PRBs (in IFS) before he was attrited from the program. (I went through the abbreviated program for Student NFOs last year.)

Thanks. I'm glad to know that if I don't solo him his career isn't nesecarilly over. I guess I'm just frustrated at how this whole program is run. I feel like the deadlines the Navy set place instructors into a corner. I love having students that are motivated and want to do well but I hate having to rush through everything in order to meet the deadlines.

Just and update: Both of our naval students soloed today. Something must have clicked overnight and they were near flawless today so we decided to do it while things looked good. Definately a stress reliever for both the students and the instructors.

I used to instruct IFS students right after they started the program. I thought it was a good deal for the studs but, as you said, there is a lot of pressure on the instructor to get them soloed. This is an example of a school that pushed their airplanes too hard to get the IFS flying done. I was the instructor that the report mentions.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20021010X05302&key=1

exacary

groundpointsix said it well: "I feel like the deadlines the Navy set place instructors into a corner. I love having students that are motivated and want to do well but I hate having to rush through everything in order to meet the deadlines."

welcome to my world.....As a navy instructor, I've just been told that more flight hours are being cut for "budget purposes"....
I guess this means we'll be winging "partial" aviators.... it's ultimately the services' loss. In the meantime, like you IFS instructors, we do the absolute best job we can within the constraints imposed upon us!

When I did my stint as an IFS instructor I pretty much concentrated on the need to know info and made sure the studs accomplished their solo flights at all costs. With that said, I didn't really have anyone not worthy of the sign-off however, some of them were pretty borderline.

I personaly think that having a civilian instructor at an FBO ruin your career before you even set foot in UPT is total BS. We had some instructors that were not hesitant in busting the studs and I would usualy take over as soon as that was percieved.

In my opinion the program sucks.

By the way, even my worst stud passed UPT with flying colors and is now at the fleet flying missions. My only advice is don't compromise safety but make sure you are gearing your instruction into getting things done.

USMCAirWinger said:
When I did my stint as an IFS instructor I pretty much concentrated on the need to know info and made sure the studs accomplished their solo flights at all costs. With that said, I didn't really have anyone not worthy of the sign-off however, some of them were pretty borderline.

I personaly think that having a civilian instructor at an FBO ruin your career before you even set foot in UPT is total BS. We had some instructors that were not hesitant in busting the studs and I would usualy take over as soon as that was percieved.

In my opinion the program sucks.

By the way, even my worst stud passed UPT with flying colors and is now at the fleet flying missions. My only advice is don't compromise safety but make sure you are gearing your instruction into getting things done.

I thought IFS was a nice break from the normal routine. More fun than anything else. Sure I learned from it, but I'm not sure if it's worth what it costs per student. Of course, I did it at DTS so the scenery was nice, and the instructors weren't out to break anybody. Can't say that of all the schools in Florida, though...

Latest resources

Back