Naval Aviators - question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rjcap

Can anyone tell me how to verify that an individual was a Skyraider pilot around 1960 ? The guy is about 71 and i am curious if he is telling the truth.

He states that he remembers flying as being boring.

Thanks

How about another question? When a student makes their first trap, how many hours have been logged to that point? Just curious.

22 years ago, as a SNA, I had about 160 hours, but I'd have to check the log book for exact numbers. That was about 55 hours in a T-34C, and the rest in the T-2C. I was winged with around 220 total hours. This should be ball park for most SNA's,

CV land

How about another question? When a student makes their first trap, how many hours have been logged to that point? Just curious.
T-28C Aug 67, total 139, 25 in a T-34B, and 114 in the T-28. It is solo to the boat for your first landings. You feel pretty hot after that flight, you figure there is a good chance you will make through advanced. BTW There were many variants of the AD-1 flying in 1960. The AEW verison could be a very boring mission orbiting for 6-8 hours at min speed while your radar operator looked for targets.

That was the norm about 140 for T-28 traps.

rjcap;2012264]Can anyone tell me how to verify that an individual was a Skyraider pilot around 1960 ? The guy is about 71 and i am curious if he is telling the truth.

He states that he remembers flying as being boring.

Thanks

I got to start up an AD during AT (A) school at NAS Memphis in 1960. Does that qualify?
Unfortunately, lack of 20/20 vision kept me from wielding a stick, but I made up for it later.
Ended up as Plane Captain on A3 Whale (VAH-9). Got to ride a few cats and traps on a Med cruise. Not boring at all.

Afghanistan

A neighbor of mine owns a Beech 1900 and is trying to contract it out for troop movement in Afghanistan. Asked me if I would be interested! Never flown a Beech 1900 so would have to go to school and get typed.

Curious about current conditions, major operational fields that they may be moving troops to, special procedures etc.

I am a Retired Navy pilot: C-130's, DC-9's, T-34, T-28 and flew for Gemini Air Cargo until they shut the doors in 2008. Flew one mission into Bagram with the DC-10. Steep approach at night, packs "off", lights "off" etc. but don't remember much else.

Any info that I could gain on here would be appreciated. I am assuming that he would have to file ICAO flight plans at base operations and get weather from there also. He is a civilian.

He has had preliminary talks but nothing firm yet. Supposedly, the contract rate for the airplane would be very lucrative (not sure it is worth dieing over).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Latest resources

Back