• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navajo Drivers......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pull the other back and hope for the best. Better chance of not becomming a crispy critter in the northern woods of Wisconsin or wherever. Just my 2 cents.

Don't try that 180 degree turn back to the field in the MU-2 if your heavy. Survibility rate? 0%...........Regardless of wind.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
TurboS7:
Why would you feather the props last? It's a serious question, I'm just wondering - not trying to be mister dickhead or anything.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
TriStar_drvr:
You are absolutely right about the situation in the airplane being a lot different in the sim. No passengers screaming what's happening or fearing for your life.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
avbug:
And yes, 800 feet AGL.

I want to get a few more replies before I will tell you all what he was taught at SimCom.

I wish people would post stuff like this more often, I like being challenged and having to think.

I am going to go with the land more or less straight ahead crowd.
I haven't flown a PA31, but based on my experience with 414's and King Airs, you won't get far from 800 feet, especially in a turn. I would make sure I tighten my harness and tell my pax to do the same. Call a mayday if you have time, and secure the fuel and electrical systems. That is probably all the time you will have. There are quite a few people who have died trying to prove that the "impossible turn" is possible. Fly safe.

The only realistic soloution from 800' is to make a slight turn for proximity to land, or go straight ahead. Prior to feathering props, attempt a recovery with boost pumps and switching tanks, but 800' doesn't provide much time.

After an attempt to restore power by rerouting fuel, shut it down and feather it, and get stable.

Much better to get stable, and set up for a 300 fpm constant rate of descent into the water. Use minimum sink airspeed, rather than maximum glide. Minimum sink will generally be slower, and it's often not published. Slow to (we had this discussion before, and I belive Asquared was the one who responded properly) approximately Vxse to achieve minimum sink.

Don't try to stall it onto the water, or necessarily even achieve a flare. Especially if the water is glassy. Simply set it down doing approximately 300 fpm. Have a door open, shoes off, belts in, and cushions in front of faces. Be prepared for rapid egress, but don't attempt it until the cabin is full of water and the pressure is equalized. Don't fight for air or the surface. Just hold your breath and float, and follow the bubbles, if it's daylight.

Then be sure to wave and scream dramatically for the evening news cameras that will probably already be on scene, as a shark pulls you back under and severs your femoral artery. And do try to smile. Remember, it's for posterity.

There is always the possibility that the aircraft will continue to float. This does sometimes happen. If you're light on fuel, there's a good chance that enough air in the tanks will keep the aircraft afloat, if the structure remains intact. However, most of the time you'll flip. There are those who will recommend keeping the cabin sealed in order to remain boyant, but don't do that. Unless you're opening forward facing doors or doors at the front of the structure...keep those closed until after coming to a rest. Otherwise, get something opened. If the aircraft begins to sink, you need to flood the cabin to get a door open anyway, to equalize the pressure. It's a good idea to have access doors open before impact, to keep the airframe from twisting and sealing them closed or jamming them.

Finally, take off the other direction, so this doesn't happen to you. Then you can go down in a school yard, instead. Better, ensure that you have a good fuel flow and good fuel, and it won't happen, either. (Unless you ingest a lot of birds, pick up a LOT of ice, or suck a door on both turbos at once).

maverick_fp00,

I think I can answer your question to TurboS7 re. feathering last while attempting a return to the runway.

The reason is because the PA-31 gear is straight hydraulic. You would need to keep at least one engine turning because there would be no time for hand pumping in this scenario.

In real life, I'd go for the swim.

You got it. Trying to fly that tight of approach and hand-pumping at the same time would be quite the challange. With the engine's windmilling you have enough hydraulic pressure to lower the gear, then feather. Flaps are electric.

The exception that proves.....

Here is the exception that proves the rule about ditching straight ahead.

I just started with a company in Barrow, AK. We have Navajo's, and in ground school we had a similar discussion. The upshot is, when taking off on either runway (6-24) at BRW and you lose engines, turn south. Your chances of surviving in the water up here is ZERO. You are better off in a less than stable condition and landing/crashing/cartwheeling on the tundra. This in an entirely unique situation.

You're better off in almost any circumstance to get the airplane onto the land, instead of in the water. Hence the instruction from several posters to Make a turn if it will get one close to the shore, or onto land.

Water just complicates things a whole bunch. The unique circumstances of each incident must be taken into consideration.

Educated(?) guess

I've never flown a Navajo, nor have I flown in more than eight years, but I wanna try it.

I would use the ABCs of emergencies, as modified for this situation. Of course, the ABCs, as taught to ME by one of my CFI students, are the following:

A = Airspeed
B = Best place to land
C = Carburetor Heat

Obviously no carb heat. I can't remember if Navajos have injected engines; in that case, alternate air. But it doesn't matter in this instance.

I'd realize my predicament, set up minimum sink airspeed as Avbug stated, and fly the airplane. I'd see what's ahead, maneuver as little as possible, and choose the best place to land. I would secure the engines and shut down the electrics and try to set the airplane down as gently as possible, gear up, even with land. I would not try radical turns because I would sacrifice what little lift I have.

I would not attempt the classic turn back to the runway turn in that airplane or, for that matter, even a light, light wing-loaded single.

I suspect this won't be the SimCom answer, but it's mine.

Last edited:
I went thru the SIMCOM Navajo training back in Jan. of 2001 and the instructor put myself and the other student thru the same senario. His point was to show us that even with two failed engines at 800 feet you could return to and land on the runway.
However I agree with others who said that in a Sim you are prepared for the failure and the pressures of real world flying aren't there. I would pick the best suitable place straight ahead and take my chances.

The best lesson I took from this demo was don't feather both props because you do need atleast one to power the hydraulics to lower the gear.

By the way was the instructor in question Howard Cox?

Latest resources

Back