NAT tracks altitude departing Gander

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DA10

So if I am departing Gander eastbound filed at 370 across, at what point must I be at FL370?

My first few fixes are...YQX ALLRY 5150N*****etc...

Will I have to be at my filed altitude/mach number by ALLRY or by 50 West?

Making 370 by 50 west looks easy enough - making it by ALLRY not so much.

Thanks. Been a while since my last crossing and I usually depart from TEB so making that first fix has never been an issue.

The one any only time that I departed Gander eastbound, I had to be level (FL410) by MNPS airspace. Ended up doing a 360 in order to make it.

So if I am departing Gander eastbound filed at 370 across, at what point must I be at FL370?

My first few fixes are...YQX ALLRY 5150N*****etc...

Will I have to be at my filed altitude/mach number by ALLRY or by 50 West?

Making 370 by 50 west looks easy enough - making it by ALLRY not so much.

Thanks. Been a while since my last crossing and I usually depart from TEB so making that first fix has never been an issue.

You need to make the assigned oceanic altitude and Mach number at the fix that defines the entrance into oceanic airspace. As per your oceanic clearance.

You need to make the assigned oceanic altitude and Mach number at the fix that defines the entrance into oceanic airspace. As per your oceanic clearance.

....and at the ETA you gave them on the ground when you requested your clearance.

I would file the alt that you think you can get to at coast out. If you file 410 and can only get to 360. 360 may not be a useable alt. You can always ask for higher when your able.

Ps just make sure you can make it on fuel at 360. Ya may not get higher. Lol

The one any only time that I departed Gander eastbound, I had to be level (FL410) by MNPS airspace. Ended up doing a 360 in order to make it.

How was this radioed to ATC?

I don't think distance is an issue getting to altitude of out Shannon, but would it be the same with ATC if climb performance was an issue?

Thanks

It is on the briefing panel on the back of the North Atlantic plotting chart is it not? Everything is there as I recall. Offsets, reports, Emergency procedures, etc. Give it a good going over...

Last edited:
How was this radioed to ATC?

I don't think distance is an issue getting to altitude of out Shannon, but would it be the same with ATC if climb performance was an issue?

Thanks

We were still with domestic, I requested the 360 through them. We leveled and reach cruise MACH prior to coast-out point.

You need to be level by your oceanic entry point, which was 51N50W, once obtaining your clearance to climb to FL370. Typically Gander would ask you to call level once the climb clearance was given as you are still in radar prior to entering MNPS airspace.

Latest resources

Back