Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fulcrum

stranger to the ground
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040520/ap_on_sc/robot_planes_1

LOS ANGELES - NASA said Thursday it is launching a program that could place robot planes and aircraft flown by human pilots in the same airspace by 2008

Unmanned aerial vehicles, or drones, are now limited primarily to restricted test or military airspace.

"The fundamental underpinnings of this program are, how can we safely introduce this class into the national airspace system?"

said Jeff Bauer, manager of the $360 million program for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
An industry association, the UAV National Industry Team, as well as the Defense Department and Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites), are also participating in the five-year program to deliver proposals and recommendations to the FAA.
Participants acknowledge that many technical and policy hurdles and much testing lie ahead.

In recent years, robot planes have been involved in some high-profile mishaps, including in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan (news - web sites). In the United States, prototype drones have landed on a freeway, cratered in the desert and crumbled in the skies over Hawaii.

Perfecting the technology — and figuring out how to ensure the drones' safe operation — could open up the use of robot planes in civilian and commercial applications, including firefighting, border patrol, domestic security and communications.

Industrial partners in the program include Boeing, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, Northrop Grumman Integrated Systems and Aerovironment Inc.

___

On the Net:

http://www.uavnas.aero/

"The fundamental underpinnings of this program are, how can we safely introduce this class into the national airspace system?"

2008 seems a little soon to say pilots will be replaced. Doubtless it will happen, but I'm thinking decades before full-scale replacement.

I don't think we'll see widespread use of UAVs in our lifetime. Aviation is a uniquely left-brain/right-brain activity. While a UAV might do a fantastic job droning along a simple route in good weather, with no ATC, weather, traffic, or emergencies to deal with, I don't think we have the technology to create a machine that is capable of adapting to the fast-paced, dynamic environment of airline flying.

LAXSaabdude.

I think you could replace pilots with robots for lots of flying. A robot could do pipeline patrol or banner towing just fine. It will take quite a while before you see robot airliners.

Latest resources

Back