NASA Hiring!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NASA Administrator

In all seriousness, I always tell people that they should imagine what somebody like Burt Rutan could do if he were in charge of NASA. Our gov't craps away billions every year and flings up a 30 year old shuttle every couple months while we all cross our fingers hoping the best for the astronauts inside. Their shuttle replacement is an Apollo style capsule, but bigger. Rutan built a spaceship in a hangar in the desert out of fiberglass and propelled by recycled tires. It's a simplification, but you get the idea. If he were in charge, we'd have the starship Enterprise in orbit and I'd be buying land on Mars.

Having known and worked with many people at NASA and their Boeing counterparts, it's a terribly inefficient operation. NASA knows that if they don't spend all of their budget each year, that the gov't will cut it. So instead of appropriating that money in effective and efficient ways, they have an awful lot of ridiculous expenditures. Basically it mirrors all the other long running gov't programs.

With all that being said, if anyone has the desire (and qualifications) to become an astronaut....good luck. A very small percentage are accepted on thier first try. Most aren't accepted until they have applied several times.

At one point one of the questions on the application was "Why do you want to be an astronaut?" (Don't know if it's still there, and haven't looked). There was someone who simply wrote "I like to travel."

Plus you get that infestation of Love Bugs down in HOU every year, and I believe it was Buzz Aldrin who summed up his feelings for those critters by saying "There always doing my two favorite things. F*in and Flying."

Cool I can use this to get my lunar landing requirement and use it as a stepping stone for UPS.

A very small percentage are accepted on thier first try. Most aren't accepted until they have applied several times.

I'm sorry...is this NASA or civilian interviewees at Southwest Airlines?

GP

Cool I can use this to get my lunar landing requirement and use it as a stepping stone for UPS.

The problem is now that extra-orbital travel and lunar landings will become common, they've upped their minimums again. You now need at least 100 hours of faster than light travel or 3 documented trips through time.

Woudln't be cool to have the NASA on the CAAS system? Just show up at their gate, put ur suit on and here we go...

I'm holding out for a major,
who wants to fly freight to the same old spot in space?

plus no flight attendants.
and the crew meals suck, no trip rigs and I headr from a buddy the the trips are way too long, also they have been known to extend you with no notice.

Latest resources

Back