• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Foxcow

screwed
Hey guys,

just a heads up on this place. STAY AWAY! Weather you are renting or looking for a job, this place is the defininition of crooked.

Instructors:
First of all, all of the instructors are crammed into this room (6'x12')with 4 chairs (8 instructors). There is a computer but we are not allowed internet access, a printer, or a copier. We are required to stay 10 hours a day even though it is raining cats and dogs and the winds are gusting to 45kts. We are only paid $15 per flight hour. I moved down here for a few months to get some good flying in but I didn't think this place was this bad.

Management:
Mismanagement is more like it. There is a trifecta of terror that runs the place. Customers are not treated with respect at all. Even though an aircraft is coming up on an inspection, they urge thier clients to fly anyways because of some made up technicality in some obscure reg. They care for nothing but making sure the hobbs meter is ticking away. Every converstation is a confrontation or a test of your competence.

Aircraft/Mx:
The aircraft are the typical run of the mill training aircraft. 152s, 172s, Warriors, an old Seminole, a few AMD Alarus, and an Arrow. First of all, the FAA instructors rarely see any multi/complex time. The chief instructor usualy hogs it all. They never want you to squwak anything because they just call the MX guys to "repar" it. One aircraft in particular comes to mind (flaps will not retract sometimes). All of the aircraft have at least one piece of equipment broken.

Building/hangar:
Overall, the hangar is in a good location and in pretty good condition but they have 4 cats! Is this a place of business or a zoo? During business hours, the cats are up on the counters, walking/sleeping/sitting on dispatched aircraft clipboards and books. There is cat hair everywhere. It is disgusting.

Stay away from this place. They get most of their business from European students that come over for FAA conversions so they don't know any better. It is a terrible place to rent and a worse place to work.

All of the aircraft have at least one piece of equipment broken.

Welcome to running a flight school.

I guess I should clarify that one. Sometimes its a stall warning horn, an annunciator panel, Fort Meyers is starting to ignore us when we call up for approaches or even a transition through because about half of the fleet has properly functioning mode C. Stuff like that makes it hard to train.

Inoperative equipment is nothing new but the way these guys do things is scary.

Just a little ammo for you... the flaps wont retract thing is two 11$ microswitches and about an hour of work.

;)

Tried it. These guys are so cheap, they don't allow us to use our strobes or landing lights unless it is night time to save bulbs. I turn them on in flight and off just after landing.

Sounds like eight of the ten flight schools I've rented from since I started flying in 1995. Did you think this kind of thing was a secret or something. :nuts:

I vacation in Naples often and I always rent from European American, a few doors down from Naples Air. I have nothing but praise for EA. Nice folks, great instructors, and brand new planes at reasonable rates.

Snakum said:
Sounds like eight of the ten flight schools I've rented from since I started flying in 1995. Did you think this kind of thing was a secret or something. :nuts:

I too have instructed at more than 6 flight schools. I am used to seeing these things but my point is that the NAC is by far the worst of the worst.

Murdoughnut said:
What's wrong with cats? Are you some sort of animal hater?

I have no problems with animals, just ones (cats) that I am allergic too. Everything in the place has a a dusting of cat hair and its disgusting. How would you feel if you went up to the dispatch counter to get an aircraft and there were anywhere from 1 to 4 cats laying on the clipboard/book/etc?

I guess it's understandable if you're allergic - I have five cats at home so it wouldn't bother me at all. I like dogs too, but cats are good if you travel a lot.

Latest resources

Back