• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Naming intersections

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One dark and srormy night, I heard a couple of Southwest guys having trouble keeping a straight face because Shreveport (La.) approach told them the aircraft in front of them "had a good ride inside CRAKK." :D

Pretty hard to get FAA to play along with "custom" fix names any more. We tried to get our DP fix names associated with UT and Texas in general, and we were basically blown off.

However, if any of you ever fly the ILS into ELP, you may wonder about the LOM, named VALTR. I worked with Bob Valtr there years ago. This guy was an ex-Air Force Pilot that started his career back in WWII. We used to have a photo of him in our breakroom in '40s AAF uniform, and a photo of his B-26 bellied in a plowed field somewhere in France. Bob eventually retired from the AF, and then went to work for the FAA as a controller, way back before age limits etc. Finally retired around '88 or so. Great guy. But the LOM isn't named for him, it's named VALTR in honor of his son, who was killed in 'Nam. Back when the FAA had a little heart and a lot less drones......

wms said:
ILS 1R KMCI; SPICY, BARBQ, RIBBS

Many of the waypoint and intersection names come from the local controllers. I actually met the controller that named the above ILS 1R intersections at Kansas City. At the time (late 1995), he was also working part-time for Flight Training magazine in addition to his controller gig at MCI. Not sure if he's still pushing tin there...

The Korry and Dylin into LGA/EWR

Good posts so far - had a retired FAA guy on board last year who worked in the NYC area - said that he designed the Korry and Dylin arrivals and named them after his kids - pretty neat.

The best by far, though (I think the procedure changed) was going into JFK - one of the VOR approaches had "FATHO" as the FAF.

How can you say that with a straight face?

-Brew3

Flying Magazine used to have someone who wrote for them named Baxter. There is now a BAXTR intersection, in Tx, named after him.

Now, how you go about getting it changed, it's beyond me, but I remember reading that they (Flying) campaigned with the FAA for quite a while, before it happened. Incidentally, he was a wonderful writer, and the intersection is near where he used to live.

How about a GPS waypoint? Can I get one of those named?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back