• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Naming intersections

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guy at Dahlgren Naval Weapons Center (just south of DC) created an RNAV approach to the facility and named the fixes after his kids.

BNA has some good names.

Over the Kentucky area there are two way points in sequence along the jet route called: BIGXX and HICKI.

There is an intersection at Chattanooga, TN that is named after my Great-Uncle. His first and middle names were Oscar Cleveland, but he went by O.C. The intersection is named OHCEE.

Used to do the DUMPY Arrival into DFW all the time, coming up from Houston. A captain once told me it was so named because there was a huge trailer park under DUMPY intersection. I didn't buy the story...until I upgraded and could see out the left side of the airplane.

No kidding: there is the biggest trailer park I've ever seen almost directly under DUMPY. :D

FIFO's don't do TERPS anymore they simply flight check them. The work is either done by the military, contractor, region or in Oke city.

In my younger days in the Marine Corps I drew up the IAPs into an airport in Africa. I named the fixes (among others) HUNGR, STARV, and BLOAT. After turning the design in I got my @ass chewed and they came back named after a number of the higher ranking officers on the deployment.

I think it's called the Rockit One arrival into Houston with hakim, slamm and dunkk, etc. However, nothing beats the road to Thailand with SEXXY and NIPPL paving the way to ruin...

fixes

My two favorites not associated with approaches:

EIEIO low route fix in Iowa.

YOCKY arrival/high route fix in KY (You're Over Central KY)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back