Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PAPA FOX!

Super Bowl bound 2008!!
I don't know if any of you remember this 27 yrs ago (almost to the day) near King Island in Australia. Many yrs ago on the TV show Unsolved Mysteries there was a segment about it and supposedly while flying a 182 across the Bass Straight he was being chased by a UFO which eventually brought down his plane. He is of course is presumed dead and no trace of the plane was ever found. Check out this article about the whole incident. Truth is stranger than fiction. Very sad though.

How do I get rid of the happy face? I put a sad face at the end but somehow a happy one showed up at the top. Didn't want to do that! Dang Computer.

Last edited:
I remember that story. Very freaky. Strange how the engine started running rouch and then no communications. Wonder if there were any background sounds during the last transmission with the open mike.

Have there been any mysteries in the local area since?

Always a good reason to get flight following...

PAPA FOX! said:
How do I get rid of the happy face? I put a sad face at the end but somehow a happy one showed up at the top. Didn't want to do that! Dang Computer.
Edit your post. Select "GO ADVANCED" while in the Edit mode.

Look BENEATH the box where your post appears for a variety of Emoticons. Apparently you selected one, perhaps by mistake. Click on the Emoticon you prefer to appear at the beginning of your post's title line, or select "No icon" if you prefer.

Click on "Preview Changes" if you'd like to see the change before you post it, or click "Save Changes" if you're feeling brave.

If there is no longer an "EDIT" button in the lower, right-hand corner of your post, it's too late - - you're stuck with it.

:)

Oops guess it's too late to edit anything. It used to be you could edit the posts for quite a while after posting them.

As for what happened, I can't even begin to guess! As I said about 10 yrs ago I saw it for the first time on Unsolved Mysteries. I was only 14 at the time and knew very little about flying back then. 4 yrs later I happened to tape the segment when it re-aired. As a recall, a family was driving along the beach and they pulled off to a scenic overlook and they recall seeing a metalic flying saucer with green lights pulling the plane down at a steep angle towards the ocean. Also nearby, a local was photographing the sunset and in one of the photos there was a mysterious "blob" in the sky. The photo was taken to a lab and it was determined in was not a processing or developing mistake. It was never determined what caused that "blob." Delta Sierra Juliet, the missing aircraft, is now regestered to a guy living in New South Wales Australia. Kinda spooky I'm sure for him!

Last edited:
Just a thought popped into my mind. Could this be in any way related to the Bermuda triangle dissappearance theories in which Methane gas bubbles up from the sea floor and then rises into the air and then floods the engine or worse causes the fuel vapors in the tanks to explode! On this show on discovery they did a ground test and found only 1% methane would flood a recip engine and cause it to stop completely!

This seems far from what happeded in Australia but nonetheless it did occur to me. So if your flying over the ocean and the engine quits, the altimiter suddenly goes up several thousand feet, the airspeed suddenly drops and you feel a sink then LEAN THE MIXTURE ALL THE WAY!! Hopefully in a few seconds the engine will come back to life!

Don't believe everything you read. As for the "Bermuda Triangle", the accident rates (including the various "disappearances") in that region are not statistically different than anywhere else. Nothing unusual at all, just a bunch of media hype.

profile said:
Don't believe everything you read. As for the "Bermuda Triangle", the accident rates (including the various "disappearances") in that region are not statistically different than anywhere else. Nothing unusual at all, just a bunch of media hype.

PARTY POOPER!! GEEZ.

Latest resources

Back