My thoughts on the industry...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wanderlust

I write this as I sit laid up with broken bones. My opinions may very well be affected by the Vicodin, so take it for what it's worth.
I really think that as the baby boomers retire, there will be a massive shortage of pilots, causing airline pay and QOL to basically return to pre 9/11 levels. Flightinfo will be virtually shut down. Then, some major economic disaster will occur, furloughs will happen, flightinfo will fire back up, and we'll be right back were we are now. It's cyclical, but even now as I fly for a broke-dick commuter, I can't think of another career I'd prefer. Flying may be boring, but not as boring as sitting in a cubicle or office all day. An office job wouldn't give me 15 days a month off and free travel either. And even though my job isn't the most lucrative right now, money isn't everything, and I think the 10 year outlook is pretty good. I think the nature of our job encourages complaints, just for the fact that you've got two guys sitting in an airplane with very little to do. They used to say in the navy that a bitching ship is a happy ship, and I think there's some truth to that. But enjoy your life for what it is, and remember there's always someone who's got it better and a lot that have it worse, and they're probably all no more happy and no more miserable than you.
Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts and get some opinions. And just remember, no matter how bad your life sucks, at least you didn't get hit by a car today.

-Gimpy

They used to say in the navy that a bitching ship is a happy ship, and I think there's some truth to that.

-Gimpy

Yeah, ok Mr. Turtleneck Monkey teeth! Did you learn that one at the Naval engineering school?

Sorry, I can't take you to the hospital. I have better things to do!

;)

:smash:

BTW, this is as good as it gets. Life doesn't get any better.

Latest resources

Back