• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6313315&nseq=25

The cockpit's not big enough...

It actually looks bigger than most current Airbus cockpits. A couple of questions for EK pilots out there:

1. Which aircraft do current EK pilots assigned to the A380 come from - the A330/340 fleet? I am sure there are only a few assigned (senior enough to bid it - probably management pilots) at this stage.

2. What are you hearing about your ability to eventually bid the A380? Will people be able to bid it after a seat-lock or will empty FO seats be allotted to newhires? If you are currently a new 777 FO, will you likely be able to bid it at some point despite being on the Boeing fleet?

I hear as many as 100 A380s may be operating for EK years into the future - there have to be opportunities for existing pilots on other fleets, right? I am sure just a lot of speculation at this point...

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6313315&nseq=25

The cockpit's not big enough...

It actually looks bigger than most current Airbus cockpits. A couple of questions for EK pilots out there:

1. Which aircraft do current EK pilots assigned to the A380 come from - the A330/340 fleet? I am sure there are only a few assigned (senior enough to bid it - probably management pilots) at this stage.

2. What are you hearing about your ability to eventually bid the A380? Will people be able to bid it after a seat-lock or will empty FO seats be allotted to newhires? If you are currently a new 777 FO, will you likely be able to bid it at some point despite being on the Boeing fleet?

I hear as many as 100 A380s may be operating for EK years into the future - there have to be opportunities for existing pilots on other fleets, right? I am sure just a lot of speculation at this point...

1. Current pilots are comming from the 340 group.

2. What the rule for today is that the first 10 aircraft will be crewed by Airbus pilots. After that they will be open for bids from the 777 guys, since there are senoir Emiratis there who want to fly the 380.

All subject to change to meet the requirements of the corporation at the present time. (read into that all bets can be off at their discretion)

Current info as of today, subject to change at any minute due to any reason whatso ever they wish to come up with.

Thanks. I can't believe that EK could be operating 100 of the A380s out of Dubai one day. That would be amazing to see. Add all of those 777s, A330s, A350s and the new FlyDubai 737-800 fleet and that new airport should be pretty busy (with its six parallel runways).

flydubai will be over at the new airport with six 4500m runways but Emirates will remain at DXB for now.

Last edited:
My problem with the Airbus 380 is that I'm not flying it!

EK A-380 At SFO

(08-04) 19:57 PDT -- This is how the other half flies.
Showers in plane bathrooms with temperature-controlled floors. Twenty-three-inch screens with 1,200 channels of audio and video entertainment. Sleeping compartments with built-in makeup mirrors and mini-bars that recede at the touch of a button.
Emirates Airlines took about 200 Bay Area travel industry VIPs on a two-hour demonstration flight on Monday of its new Airbus A380 - a giant, two-level plane that is the state of the art in luxury flight.
Not only were they above the fog, they were on Cloud Nine.
"I've never seen an aircraft like this - it feels like you're in a cruise ship," said Mark Ludwig, CEO of AirTreks, a San Francisco travel agency.
At a time when U.S. airlines are staggering under high fuel costs and socking passengers with fees for everything from luggage to drinking water, Emirates Airlines is leading a wave of investment by international airlines in high-end aircraft.
Airbus, the European plane manufacturer, has orders for about 200 A380s, which can carry more passengers with greater fuel efficiency than other large planes such as Boeing 747s.
Fifty-eight of those orders are from Emirates at a cost per plane of about $327 million. Emirates brought one of its new 489-passenger planes to the Bay Area both to show off its cutting-edge features and to promote the airline's plans to start service between San Francisco International Airport and Dubai in December.
However, initially there won't be any A380s on the San Francisco-Dubai route. They will be limited to service between New York and Dubai, while San Francisco will be served by Boeing 777s that carry 266 passengers.
"We are going to walk before we run, starting with aircraft with 200-odd seats," said Nigel Page, senior vice president of Emirates Airlines.
For travelers used to the cattle-car feeling that accompanies much American flight these days, Monday's demo flight felt like something from another era.
Passengers boarded through three jet bridges - two to the 399-seat economy section on the first level and another to the 14 first-class and 76 business-class seats on the second level.
First-class passengers are given "suites" - chest-high compartments with seats that open into beds. They have access to a self-serve bar and to two 4-by-10-foot bathrooms with showers that last up to five minutes.
"This is bigger than the bathroom at my house, and more nicely appointed," said Howard Simon, a biotech executive at Intermune in Brisbane.
Emirates officials said putting showers on an airplane posed some logistical challenges, partly due to the weight of the water.
"We initially were thinking about recycled water, but we know many people don't appreciate recycled water in their shower," said Adel Al-Redha, executive vice president for engineering at Emirates.
Business-class passengers get cubicle-like compartments with fold-out beds that provide a surprising sense of space and privacy. Economy passengers have regular airline seats, albeit somewhat wider than average.
"Economy is economy," one travel agent said.
But all three classes get the 1,200 channels of audio and video - including 60 channels of newly released movies, 20 of classics, 30 of Disney movies, 27 of Arabic-language movies, and others with movies in Urdu, Farsi, Tagalog and Sinhala.
And all three classes share a nifty feature: live video streams from cameras mounted on the nose, underside and tail of the plane.
Of course, these perks all have a price - namely, $14,000 for first class, $9,000 for business class and $1,500 for economy on a typical round trip between New York and Dubai.
Some attendees wondered if they were watching the airline industry splinter into two separate worlds serving "haves" and "have-nots."
"I think there's a market for this, but there's nobody left in the middle - it's just people with money and people without money," Simon said.
Some also wondered quietly how Emirates - which is owned by the government of Dubai but run like a private business - could manage to invest $18 billion in new luxury planes while American airlines are dropping like flies.
Emirates officials said they receive no government subsidies or discounted fuel prices. They benefit, they said, from not having to serve short but expensive domestic routes, and from the fuel efficiency of their relatively new fleet.
"It's really unfair to compare us with major U.S. domestic airlines, since we don't operate domestically in the U.S. and our fleet is only 5 years old," said Page
One big, fancy plane

$327 million

Cost of one A380

Number of passengers it carries

Length, in feet (the wingspan is 261 feet, and the plane is 80 feet high)

Number ordered by Emirates Airlines (other airlines have ordered about 140)

Number of first-class compartments

Number of showers onboard

Number of years it took to build
$14,000
Cost of a first-class, round-trip ticket from New York to Dubai (a business-class ticket costs $9,000, economy class $1,500)

I just saw it for the first time at LAX today. The fuselage doesn't seem bigger than the 747 it's just that this plane is really fat. I also managed to get a glimpse of those Emirates flight attendants and their uniform. Must be nice, flying for a real airline.

flydubai will be over at the new airport with six 4500m runways but Emirates will remain at DXB for now.

Hey Wiggums,

When is that new airport supposed to start up operations again? 2009? At what point would EK make the transition over to the new airport?

Hey Wiggums,

At what point would EK make the transition over to the new airport?

They haven't even opened the new terminal at the current airport yet. Also building an A380 dedicated terminal right next to the unopened new terminal. My guess is no earlier than 2015.

TP

Latest resources

Back