• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My perfect problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll tell ya what. I'll take the gaming job and you can have my flying job. :)

Seriously though, go for the job stability that an office and a computer will provide. While 35k to start is a pittance and almost insulting in the IT field, it's a freakin forture for a college graduate. As several of my esteemed fellow pilots here have said, take the job and fly on the weekends.

As several of my esteemed fellow pilots here have said, take the job and fly on the weekends.

The grass is ALWAYS greener.

Ask yourself this, why has every respnose been telling you NOT to fly? This profession doesn't possess any form of barrier to entry (with the exception of medical limitations), so any time pilots have the ability to discourage new entrants, they will. Not consciously, but you can read the subtle tone of them not wanting you to fly for a living.

I just bought a laptop and am going to get into World of Warcraft.

Anyway, take the gaming job, and use it to finance your flying habit. Pay off the loans, and who knows, it may even lead to a higher paying gaming job once you get some experience. You're in a better position than most, with the ability to choose. Start out in gaming, and fly on the side. If you like it, stick with it, if not, you'll have your flying on the side, and be building toward a better job in the future.

Good luck!

timeoff said:
The grass is ALWAYS greener.

Ask yourself this, why has every respnose been telling you NOT to fly? This profession doesn't possess any form of barrier to entry (with the exception of medical limitations), so any time pilots have the ability to discourage new entrants, they will. Not consciously, but you can read the subtle tone of them not wanting you to fly for a living.

It is a stability issue. Right now there is zero stability in the industry. As a new airline pilot you can expect much less than the 35k he is offered outside of aviation. Pay rates for RJ pilots is horrible and going down, the majors are still in bad shape, even the ones hiring are not doing so well.(Even SWA is feeling it as the fuel price goes up)

Right now in the industry a pilot can expect repeated furloughs and having to start over several times prior to any stable position. For me it is two furloughs so far with a third furlough that was announced 2 days ago. So far I have gone from a Boeing to a cessna twice now...and if the newest furlough announcement becomes reality it will probably be a third time to a cessna at least for a while.

Anybody starting in aviation right now has to expect more of the same, if you get lucky, good for them, but do not expect it.

Now where did I put that CFI certificate? Glad I never let it expire.....it has kept the roof over my head more times than I care to count.

CapnVegetto said:

This is like saying "I just bought a pack of light bulbs and am going to get into smoking crack cocaine."

:) Crap, I made $43k as a friggin line guy this year, according to my W2. Throw in my 4% company match on the 401(k), my tuition reimbursement for school, the tips I made, and I have a $50k per year job. Company's footing the bill for an MS while I'm waiting for the FAA to get off their ass and hire ATC'ers.

CapnVegetto said:

Anyway, take the gaming job, and use it to finance your flying habit. Pay off the loans, and who knows, it may even lead to a higher paying gaming job once you get some experience. You're in a better position than most, with the ability to choose. Start out in gaming, and fly on the side. If you like it, stick with it, if not, you'll have your flying on the side, and be building toward a better job in the future.

Good luck!

World of Warcraft is like crack, I've been there and back, and am not proud of it. I'm guessing WIPilot got hired by Blizz.

dseagrav said:
This is like saying "I just bought a pack of light bulbs and am going to get into smoking crack cocaine."
:D

I am hooked on FEAR right now, can't stop between that and getting smoked in HL2 deathmatches by what I assume are a bunch of kids who play all day and night. I don't have WoW yet, but do have a best buy gift card burning a hole in my pocket...:beer:

Latest resources

Back