Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jspilot

Hello fellow pilots,
I need your advice/past experiences again. The time has finally come where I am able to fill up my first logbook. When I started flying I never thought I could do that but I did. My question is should I get another small sportys/jeppesen logbook or the HUGE jeppesen professional pilot logbook. Is the jeppesen to big to bring to an interview or it doesn't matter? Well thanks in advance for the advice/suggestions. James

I got the Jeppesen Professional for my second logbook and I've been real happy with it. Lots of blank columns to keep track of any kinds of times you may want, and a yearly totals section in the back that comes in handy.

I've always used the Jepp Professional (the big one). It's not anywhere near being full. The yearly totals and aircraft totals in the back are nice to have.

I think one thing to keep in mind when deciding on a small logbook versus a professional logbook is the thought of it ever being lost or destroyed (God forbid!). It may be easier to reconstruct a smaller one versus a bigger one.

I keep the little book with me while I am flying so I can enter the flights as I complete them. I keep a Jepp Pro book at home. I update the big book about once a month. This way I always have two copies in case one is lost and I will only have to reconstruct maybe two weeks worth. Also the little book seems to always be messy as I am filling it out on the fly so when I transfer the info to the big one I can make sure it is perfectly neat and professional looking. I just rubber band the small one together with the big one for interviews because the little book has all the signoffs and endorsements. When I explain to the interviewer my reasoning for the two books (neatness, professionalism, and backup) they always seem impressed that I have taken the extra step.

On a related note, go to Wal-Mart, Office Depot, etc. and get a fire proof/water proof lock box. They run about $40-50 bucks but that is the cheapest insurance you can get for your times. They only thing they don't protect against is disgruntled ex-wives.

I have the huge Jepp logbook, I keep it in a safe deposit box in the bank (about $20 year) with all of my other previous logbooks. I update it every few months.

I designed an Excel-formatted electronic logbook that I keep all of my hours up to date in (and yes, I went back to Day 1 and added every flight to the E-log!). I keep it on a laptop and e-mail it to my desktop periodically to back it up in case one of my computers crash.

LAXSaabdude.

thanks for all the comments....looks like i will get the jeppesen professional logbook....and i did get the fireproof box a while back just for the added safety...thanks once again!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back