Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
On July 23rd, 2020 I placed an order for a FX-3 slot with Chip Allen. Through intense discussion and coaching of @turbopilot I've learned a lot and continue to learn and have honed my build to what I call "version 2" I submitted to Chip yesterday. There will be more changes as I continue to learn. I'll detail my build below as of today. I've had the great opportunity to learn from several sales folks and Chip has been great to communicate with to date. Several current and prospective owners I've also had the luxury of speaking with including Trent T. who I hope will join us here soon as he picked up his FX3 this past June of which I've learned a ton from and will be shaping my build to follow. I've also posted on the CubCrafters forum as well as the SuperCub.org forum which is far more active than the CubCrafters forum but still hovered by the sales folks, which is fine.

My Build:
  • FX-3
  • Paint: All urethane (no polytone) Signature Plus with Orange over smoke with black accent
  • Executive Glass Touch
  • Dual Axis Autopilot
  • GTX 345 TXPR/ADSB IN/OUT
  • Acme BlackOps mains
  • Acme Stinger tailwheel
  • HD brakes
  • Stainless Steel Braided brake lines
  • Oregon Aero Front/Back seats (fabric)
  • 83 in constant speed prop
  • Two additional snapvents
  • Rosen sunvisor
  • SBS J16 battery
  • Rear seat 12V outlet
  • Halon fire extinguisher
  • Headset hooks
  • 3 inch N-Numbers below logo on tail
  • Carpeted baggage compartment
  • May order a dash cover
  • 5 point shoulder harness (not sure of cost yet)
  • BRS
  • 29 inch Alaskan Bush tires with heavy tread option
  • USB ports front/rear (pending)
  • IFR Lite: Garmin 355, Garmin G5, and Pitot Heat. Not sure of setup yet as there are space concerns, very tight panel config
Trent T mentioned a battery starter kit I'm still needing to find out about. I think there is a problem with starters in the field and this is a workaround? Waiting for him to join in and explain.

I'm planning on getting the Carbon Concepts cargo pod either sent to Hood River, OR where I'll be taking delivery or get it later. I'll have the rear mounts installed per Randy from Carbon Concepts as he says: Add welded tab 5/8 x 5/8 x 1/8” thick with a 3/16” hole in the center 40 1/2” behind the back of the rear gear leg fitting, both sides

The carbon concepts cargo pod from what I've learned has a higher carry capacity, larger access door and a rear fold down door for carrying long items. CubCrafters sells a pod I believe by LewAero which is $3K more. Has a better fit and finish, the pilots in the field I've talked to recommend Randy's pod.

I'm researching helmets from both Sky Cowboy and Flighthelmet.com. I contacted FlightHelmet.com as they sell helmets like the one I have from A-10's and they said they can modify it to support the Bose A20 I'll be using. Probably going to cost 500-700 to mod it but this is a custom fit helmet to my head so comfort is key and of course some nostalgia getting to use my Air Force helmet from back in the day.

Trent sent me a picture of his panel which I'll include below. The autopilot setup would not support the control head with knobs he tells me. I thought of putting the G5 on the right but looking at his picture there's no room for it. There is an option for a "blue button" which puts the AP in level flight mode if you want to cleanup the panel more but I'd rather have the redundancy if the G3X becomes unresponsive but as we all know everything can be driven by the G3X and will be the primary. Trent tells me due to panel space issues the intercom has to go above the rear seat, hope he can attach pictures to show what that looks like.

IMG_0166.jpeg

Trent sent me a few more pics this morning, one is of the 5 point harness and this shows the anchor @turbopilot. The other picture is the intercom location above the rear seat as with the IFR Lite setup there is no room for it where it normally goes. I may request for this to go further aft into or aft of the baggage compartment if I proceed with IFR Lite. I think we need tail weight anyways, why not put this aft of the aft wall of the baggage area?

IMG_8358.jpeg

IMG_8367.jpeg

Still can't see where that between the leg strap attaches. No hard points under the seat.

Bad location for that remote intercom. Got to be a better solution. ? Roof or side of extended baggage compartment.

Ahh crap, that's the stick I bit off on, not the bottom harness mount. Hopefully Trent will join us soon.

Ahh crap, that's the stick I bit off on, not the bottom harness mount. Hopefully Trent will join us soon.

Just needs to rotate seat forward and look under. Strap may continue down to the belly where there is steel tubing.

I would prefer it be aft of the baggage area, no need to see it and if there is an inspection/access plate below that could help OTHER than if it needed to be removed. A larger access panel below would be needed more than likely. With BRS on one side and this on the other of the baggage that would not be ideal. Aft wall maybe.

I checked my emails and I’ve placed the order and the deposit on March 9, 2020. I’ve not received yet a production week and I’m getting a bit worried although Brad Damm had assured me that I’ll get the plane by May 15, 2021.
Regarding three items on your order Brad advised me they are not necessary
- he said that there in no reason to replace the tail wheel unless I do crazy stuff.
- he said that for novice TW drivers HD brakes are a bad idea. May lead to nose over accident.
- said that unless I place on not covering the landing gear or landing often near salty water I should not get the stainless brake lines.

I checked my emails and I’ve placed the order and the deposit on March 9, 2020. I’ve not received yet a production week and I’m getting a bit worried although Brad Damm had assured me that I’ll get the plane by May 15, 2021.
Regarding three items on your order Brad advised me they are not necessary
- he said that there in no reason to replace the tail wheel unless I do crazy stuff.
- he said that for novice TW drivers HD brakes are a bad idea. May lead to nose over accident.
- said that unless I place on not covering the landing gear or landing often near salty water I should not get the stainless brake lines.

Not Neal but my comments:
1. 3200-TYPE STEERABLE TAILWHEEL is all you need unless you are doing heavy gross weight (at 2000 lb GW limit) all the time. With a lot of weight on the tail (ie aft CG) with soft surfaces a bigger tail wheel will help. C/G is almost as important as total weight, but with CC almost all additional cargo goes aft of CG.

2. If you are going to do (or expect to do) the Beringer conversion forget about HD brakes and stainless brake plumbing. Beringer only uses stainless and all brake plumbing has to be redone for Beringer system. Brad is right for a first time tail wheel pilot do not get HD brakes, they are too strong and you may flip on your learning curve.

Call Brad. They have a master spreadsheet with all the production dates. Most likely yours has slipped like mine. I placed an order for my slot January 5 and got a September 2 deliver. Now deliver has slipped to September 22 and they have added another 6 weeks to post production testing. COVID has screwed up their planning.

Latest resources

Back