• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My DAL Jumpseat Experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had a united guy ask for my license and after studying it asked me for the square root of the fourth digit.

I got a kick out of it - in a man your one wierd dude kind of way.

Anybody know what the square root of 2 is?

Gup

If someone else is rude - they have a problem. It is not your problem - unless you decide you are going to continue, or escalate, the problem and make it your own. It is not a matter of "self esteem" it is a matter of pragmatism.

"Self Esteem" does not mean you defend your honor at every turn, if so you are going to be a busy person just trying to get a little lunch in Hot 'Lanta where some of the food vendors have elevated being rude and disrespectful to an art form.

But also, respect for authority enters into the picture here. You have a Delta Captain trying to supervise boarding of his aircraft under tight time constraints and an offline jumpseater blocking the door. Obviously the J/S lacked a little situational awareness.

well said

Anybody know what the square root of 2 is?

My immediate guess was 1.4159. After checking the net, it looks like I've mixed up pi with the square root of 2.
Square root of 2 from the net: 1.4142135
Pi: 3.1515926 (memory). Checking the net now: 3.1415926. At least I still remember pi to the seventh decimal place.

OK, you've successfully proven that I'm a math geek. :p Now, how many dates do you think that my math prowess landed me in my youth? Multiply any number of women by zero, and you have your answer. :laugh:

Any more Cliff Claven trivia?

You, Ma'am/Sir, seem like a textbook case of someone with a very 'Low Self Esteem'.

If someone is being rude to you because they are offering you help, you simply can't take the disrespect.

The jumpseat DOES not belong to the captain, it belongs to the airline. The airline management is the authority that made it possible for pilots to jumpseat. NOT the captain!

If someone is rude to you, you must do something about it! Not just take an insult, like you did, and feel you deserve it because it’s a ‘freebie’ you’re getting in return!

If he has low self esteem, you have a HUGE sense of entitlement and an even bigger chip on your shoulder.

As others have said, jumpseat-reciprocity belongs to the company.

The authority to ride the jumpseat on a given flight is at the discretion of the Captain.

William
AKA Bill
Former Moderator

PS - I rarely ride the jumpseat, but I know my place when I do.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back