Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Well in my long quest to find a better headset I recently turned in the Bose X Ive been using and picked myself up a clarity aloft. I figured I would post my thoughts for anyone considering it since I know I did a lot of searching for user info before I purchased. Hopefully this helps someone out and doesnt just waste space :)

I should put in a note that I had operated with a Bose X from pistons, to turboprops, to jets, and decided that the X was just a little too much for my reasonably quiet jet. So this review is from a corporate jet standpoint. I was extremely pleased with the Bose and would recommend it to anyone who wants a quiet, comfortable headset. Ive had David Clarks, LightSpeeds, etc. and nothing matched how quiet it was and how comfortable it was on my big head. I am one of the people who does believe its worth the $1ooo easy. Anyway...

THE CLARITY ALOFT:

BUILD:
Right out of the box I could tell that it was very well put together. It looks a little delicate, but after some tugs and twists I found it to be very durable which eased my concern of it being kicked around in a bag and hanging in the flight deck. The unit looks very sharp and well organized, though after you use it the wires and everything do get a little messy. Not a big deal though.

WEARING THE UNIT: Dawning the unit is a little more demanding and time consuming than a regular head clamp, but not to the point where it changed anything in regards to the normal cockpit flow of startup etc. It maybe takes an extra 10 seconds to get settled. Mine did take some flexing to make comfortable. Right out of the box the pieces over my ears squeezed on my head some, but it was fine once I worked them a little. It is necessary to use the clothing clips (which I had never really done with previous headsets). The unit is so light that if you dont have some slack in the wiring the unit will move about your head with every tug. Not a problem though once youve clipped it to a seatbelt or shirt. Putting the earbuds in is just like any earplug: squeeze it, pull your ear back, and shove it in :).

FUNCTIONALITY: The volume box works great, and having the stereo input is awesome. I really think every headset should have this option and it blows me away the bose doesnt...though Im thinking any day here that Bose will release a new aviation headset. The clarity has ample wiring to run to any plug but its not overbearing. Once you have the unit on it sits well in place (use the clothing clips!). Putting sunglasses on was not an issue AT ALL. I suppose if you have really thick rim glasses it could have potential...but I could put on and remove my raybans without effect.

NOISE REDUCTION: First the noise reduction capabilities. Its obviously a passive headset. The only noise blocking comes from the earbuds. But oh do they work! My notion of this headset was how it would be great for jets...and I was right! The bose and other ANR clamps do a great job of removing the low end spectrum of sound (pistons, turboprops) while lacking in the high end a little. The clarity is the opposite. It gets rid of the higher spectrum (jets, wind noise, etc.) and lacks a little in the low end. For example...stick your fingers in your ears...see how you get that ambient hum? The earbuds do the same thing...but not quite to that extent. Overall I would think they are almost equally quiet to the bose in general...just a different kind of quiet. An easy way to test headsets (though its not the same as a jet) is to put them on while standing behind your running lawn mower. I know it sounds strange...but it gives you a pretty good idea of how much the unit is going to block or overcome sound. Try it sometime! Most headsets these days have great return policies so if you can try your top two at once to make your decision.

SOUND: The speakers come right through the earbuds and they sound great. The mic also seems to work perfectly and everything was clear both on my end as well as ATC and the other pilot. I have to say though...it is a little different not being able to really hear your own voice. The sound coming through the buds is a little different as compared to the bose. Not better or worse...just different. That took a little getting used to. Otherwise everything worked great...and the stereo input played my iPod wonderfully.

COMFORTABILITY: This is where the money is in my book. Ive been looking for a headset that is quieter than the normal earphones types but more comfortable than the head clamps. A middle ground. The clarity is right there. When I first put this thing on I was amazed. I really did barely notice it was there. You can feel the earbuds...and you can barely feel the wire-raparound over your ears, but other than that when you move your head its like nothing is there. When I first put them on I had a big smile on my face. No pressure on the top of my head, and nothing on my ears. Were they perfect? No. But they were very comfortable right out of the box. After awhile I did start to get sore in the ears from the earbuds and I did start to notice the frame over my ears more and my head did get a little sore.

THE FINAL VERDICT: The Clarity Aloft is a great but for anyone who is comfortable with wearing earbuds for extended periods of time and are looking to get away from the head clamp type headset. Is it perfect? No. The sound reduction is ample but it leaves a little to be desired in the low end spectrum. This would concern me in turboprops, but I have a few friends flying tprops and they swear by the Clarity's. One guy even dropped his Bose X to use the Claritys. They are very comfortable right away but can become more noticeable after say 30-40 minutes or so (in my case anyway.) I would imagine for most people they would be more comfortable since I have a larger than average sized dome.

Please feel free to pm me with any questions you may have and Ill try to help. The Clarity Aloft can be found at www.clarityaloft.com or at places like avshop.com etc.

My next headset purchase is the UFlyMike adapter with the Bose QuietComfort 2. Ill review it once Ive put it into action!

THE BOSE X

BUILD:
Right out of the box the Bose appeared to be a well put together unit. It looks very sharp I must admit. Im no engineer, but it seems well constructed and organized. I used Bose Xs for over two years without any problems.

WEARING THE UNIT: As previously mentioned I had used David Clarks and tried LightSpeeds and a few others before getting the Bose. It goes on like any other over the head clamp type headset the only difference Ive found being the flex joint at the top. Most headsets are simply flexible and can be bent over the head. Very simple to put on and take off. (read: remove. lol.)

FUNCTIONALITY: The one major thing that the Bose lacks is a stereo input. With the growing amount of headsets with these I was surprised that Bose didnt throw one in. As Ive mentioned before, it wouldnt surprise me if Bose didnt release a new aviation headset in the next few short years. Hopefully it will have one! Otherwise the headset works like any other over the head type. You are easily able to wear sunglasses..but the noise reduction will be ever so slightly impacted unless you have tiny frame glasses like Maui Jims or something. The volume knobs on the control "box" were a poor design in my opinion. They simply move too much. At one point I found myself taping both the left and right at full so they wouldnt move. I would imagine some headsets have stiffer volume wheels than others though.

NOISE REDUCTION: One other thing that Bose hasnt done that other manufacturers have is release (from what Ive seen anyway) the actual tested noise reduction levels, but I can tell you this...they are right up there! Since I have no actual levels I cant speak in technical terms, but I can tell you the ANR does an outstanding job, particularly in the low level noises. It is amazing what dissapears once you press that ANR button. It should be noted though...once your battery's go dead the passive capabilites are not good at all. I think people should understand though...that is the sacrifice you make to have a lighter more comfortable headset. Also it can be solved very easily...CARRY BATTERIES! Lol. Most battery sets lasted about 40-50 hours for me. The ANR does have an automatic shutoff feature that works very well also. I was really impressed with how such a light and comfortable headset could have such great noise reduction.

SOUND: Ive always read mixed reviews on Bose stereo equipment (speakers etc.) Some people swear by them, others against. I can tell you though the audio in the Bose X seems excellent. Everything comes through crystal clear and sounds very natural in your ears. Absolutely no complaints here.

COMFORTABILITY: As mentioned before this is at the top of my list. I would include noise reduction into comfortability as well so that really helps the Bose out. In regards to wearing the unit it is FANTASTIC. For what you pay you get a headset that is lightweight and less clampy in regards to its competition and it still provides a quiet environment! Ive always read about people saying they were "less fatigued" with their new headset but didnt really know what they meant until wearing this thing. I could easily fly 8 hours in a day and be as comfortable in the last 30 minutes with this thing as I was in the first 30. Excellent in this category for the Bose.

THE FINAL VERDICT: $1ooo is quite a bit of money to spend on a headset, but I truly do think the Bose is worth it (though maybe not worthy of it.) It just cant be beat in how comfortable it is and yet still providing such great noise reduction. Any time I find myself in a piston or (God-forbid) back in a turboprop you will see me dawning the X. It may be a little much if you fly a fairly quiet jet (Im researching the UFlyMike option at the moment - Ive already ordered it and cant wait to try it.) Im also really excited to see how Bose does in the next generation of this headset. If you truly do value your hearing (lets face it...for most of us our eyes and ears are our living!) and you demand to be as comfortable as possible while you work, the Bose X is an excellent choice. Is it perfect? No. It could be quieter and Im sure some may wish it to be even less "clampy." Please dont expect this thing to be silent and not noticeable. Its still a headset...but its leagues ahead of the others in my opinion.

Please feel free to pm me with any questions and I will do my best to answer them. The Bose X can be found at www.bose.com or Sportys.com etc.

i was reading on the uflymike website and it mentioned that you will need different mics from them to operate different types of aircraft (i.e one for GA and another for turboprops/jets). am i correct about that?

epic! said:
i was reading on the uflymike website and it mentioned that you will need different mics from them to operate different types of aircraft (i.e one for GA and another for turboprops/jets). am i correct about that?

From what I have read on their website and spoken to them about, yes, this is sort of true. There are 3 different versions based on the type of aircraft you are flying. Check www.uflymike.com for details or give them a call, they are very friendly and helpful. The 3 they mention are...

*Pro (High impendance switch for use in Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, and Airbus aircraft)
*Duo (Stereo/Mono switch for use in General Aviation aircraft equipped with dual plug stereo or mono jacks)
*Pro (Hi/Low impendance switch for use in most CRJ/ERJ, business jets/props, and general aviation aircraft equipped with mono audio jacks)

Like I said...contact them with specific questions.

thanks ill give them a call. also is that the case for most headsets (like the bose)? or just this one?

Clarity Aloft

I love the Clarity Aloft headset.
I 've tried the Bose on some occasions. It is a great well-made headset. I guess knowing the price ($1000) had set my expectations and I was a bit underwhelmed.

The Clarity Aloft always intrigued me, but inserting both earplugs every time seemed a bit cumbersome.

The Brasilia is loud, so for the last year and a half, I've been wearing my trusty DCs with the addition of earplugs.

This worked great but after 6 legs with Earplugs DCs and Sunglasses my head really needed relief...

I just got the Clarity Aloft and couldn't be happier.

The first few flights it seemed like I'm missing something sqeezing my head.

The set is well made and I second the review above, my experience has been very similar.

The cord comes with 2 repositionable clips.
I use a rubber band around the top rear of the dv window mechanism to give the cord some slack going to the headset. I've seen a similar setup in the A320. Without this, the weight of the cord will pull on the headset and move it.

My biggest beef is the volume knob which is too easy to turn, at times when bumped it will adjust. Maybe I'll put a wide rubber band around the volume control.

I bought mine online from AVshop, the box was missing the set of regular tips but I called them and they promptly sent me out a set of tips.

I tried the set with the narrow tips but they are horrible and provide hardly any sound attenuation.

At $500 this headset is a bargain, even though it feels like you're being ripped off because it is so little.

Cheers
George

epic! said:
thanks ill give them a call. also is that the case for most headsets (like the bose)? or just this one?

Just the UFlyMike as far as I know. Im not quite sure how the electronics work, so Ill spare you the guesswork...I just know they have 3 to accomodate every type of radio console.

Do you guys know weather the clarity can be equipped with custom ear plugs? I am using the clarity for 2 weeks now in the ERJ and it works great but if you fly max speed below FL200 I can hear some wind noise unless I force the plugs into my ears deep. Custom molds would work better I think.

Latest resources

Back