• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My 1st Gulfstream Airlines Jumpseater

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If that's what you meant then why didn't you say it? What you said was that they put pilots on the street and they didn't.

Ok, they kept pilots on the street then... No difference.

Not to mention Gulfstream PFTers can't possibly be helping the FOs at Great Lakes either. Kinda hard to ask for a pay raise when your competition is paying to work for their company.

You people are idiots. What a waste of a thread.
And BTW, as far as I'm concerned, the people willing to work for 12,000-20,000 at the other "upstanding" commuters, are PFT-er too. Put your money where your mouth is and get a salary worth the job, then you can rant!
And no, I do not agree with GIA, or anyone else's PFT; in fact, I hate it.
That's why I didn't, nor will I ever go, to the regionals.

BTW, did you know that the PFT F/Os @ GIA have something on their badges that states they are not eligible for jumpseat privileges on other airlines?
(I got that from a street captain buddy of mine there. I think it's still correct info.)

That's why I didn't, nor will I ever go, to the regionals.

So how are the pay and work rules where you work now?

I'm an RJ FO, I never work over 4 days a week (I could work 3 if I didn't commute halfway across the country), I never work weekends, I have 14 days of vacation per year that I turn into a month by bidding strategically, and I'll bring in close to 45k this year when its all said and done. No, that isn't a lot of money, and I'm not claiming that it is...but I'll take this over a job making 65k a year where I spend 8 hours a day sitting in FBO's, spend my spare time cleaning hangar floors, or have to wear a pager 24/7.

Last edited:
...but I'll take this over a job making 65k a year where I spend 8 hours a day sitting in FBO's, spend my spare time cleaning hangar floors, or have to wear a pager 24/7.

nice try young gwasshoppa'...but one must be careful in assuming that those of us who refused a regional career (yes, i said career) early on in our aviation adventure are doing any of the above.

i average 15 days work a month, have yet to sit in any FBO for more than 3-4 hours at a time, wouldnt know what a hanger floor looks like except that i started life as a mechanic, havent seen a pager since the late 80's...and make twice what you "almost" make...and yes, this is a 135 charter job :)

the poit being they will pay to get a job or a free ride. enough said....there goes another couple minutes......

nice try young gwasshoppa'...but one must be careful in assuming that those of us who refused a regional career (yes, i said career) early on in our aviation adventure are doing any of the above.

i average 15 days work a month, have yet to sit in any FBO for more than 3-4 hours at a time, wouldnt know what a hanger floor looks like except that i started life as a mechanic, havent seen a pager since the late 80's...and make twice what you "almost" make...and yes, this is a 135 charter job :)

If you're a Captain I would hope that you make twice what I do. The Captains that I fly with at my company do as well. If you are indeed a 135 King Air pilot making 90k a year, I also find that rather hard to believe unless you are doing a ton of contract work on the side.

I never said that you have to take an airline job to get decent pay and QOL. What I'm saying is that regional airlines are no worse, and in some cases may be slightly better, than most other entry level professional pilot jobs out there. I just get a kick out of the guys who talk down to regional pilots because they are making slightly more money working at a place where quality of life is virtually unheard of. The entry level corporate/135 world is no bed of roses. I would know being I spent 4 years there myself.

I know regional FO's aren't paid much of anything...but how many 700 hour guys on the other side ride around in the right seat of King Airs for free trying to get a corporate/charter gig? I mean, hell, at least the 700 hour regional FO's are getting paid....even if it isn't enough.

Last edited:
Ok, they kept pilots on the street then... No difference.

Ok, following that logic, there's lots of other people that you need to be giving a hard time also.

1. Delta green-slippers: these guys have been picking up open time for the past five years at straight time, allowing the company to keep the furloughed pilots on the street all this time.

2. Pilots at USAir, NWA, DAL, AMR, etc...: All of these pilots accepted concessionary contracts that increased their productivity. This allowed management to keep the furloughed pilots on the street.

3. SWA pilots: Pilots at SWA go way above and beyond to get flights out in 15 minute turns. They do everything in their power to keep their productivity up. With productivity this high, management doesn't have to hire a lot of pilots that would otherwise be necessary.

You get the point. Do you berate these pilots? Do you deny them jumpseats? Of course not, but they meet the definition you gave above. PFT is certainly wrong (and this comes from someone who made that mistake years ago), but attacking these guys is juvenile. Only SCABs and pseudo-SCABs from places like Freedom and GoJet deserve this kind of treatment.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back